Compile button missing in editor - hotloading not working

Recently while working with an Unreal C++ project, I have been unable to compile from the editor or hotload any compiled code.

In the past, I was able to see the compile button directly next to the build button, but now the button is missing from the editor toolbar. If I attempt to compile using the keyboard shortcuts, the following message appears in the output log:

Warning: RebindPackages not possible (no packages specified)

Building in Visual Studio still works properly, though the new binaries are not loaded into the editor. Exiting and reloading the editor reloads the expected changes.

Additionally, creating a new C++ project allows me to compile from the editor normally.

I’ve only added a few small source files to the project, including adding a shader folder according to this: Virtual Shader Source Path - Link custom Shaders - Shadertoy Demo download - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

Is there a simple way to re-enable compilation from the editor, or is it something I need to fix with the main module?

I was able to fix the issue by adding a bool IsGameModule() function to my main module class, the same as in ShenYuan’s answer in Compile Button & C++ Classes Missing in Editor - Programming & Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums

1 Like