[Community Project] Real Time Strategy Game. NEW MODELS AVAILABLE. SEE POST #1

You can if thats how you wish to proceed. There are no clear-cut rules. Some people like to create a new branch for each new feature. Others like to keep a branch for each user. (Always keep in mind that you can make sub-branches from branches). So try one approach and see if it works out.

If and Brennen1350 have access to your github repository, they can create a branch themselves. You dont have to create it for them. Branches are created from the client (I dont think you can create it from github site)

If you are using the shell, can do this:

git checkout -b thommie_branch

This will create a new branch in his local system. ( it does not exist in remote mahcineā€¦github site) He can then make modifications and commit it to this branch. Once he is ready to publsih his changes, he does this:

git push -u <remote_branch> thommie_branch (just put <remote_branch> to origin)

SO:

git push -u origin thommie_branch

The above command will create a new branch named ā€˜thommie_branchā€™ on the server and push the code in the local branch ā€˜thommie_branchā€™ into it. However if you need a different remote name, you can do taht too

git push -u origin thommie_branch:thommie_remote

ā€“I tend to use the same name for remote and local branches for clarity (althoug this is not always possible).

NOTE: the ā€˜-uā€™ is optional and it will set the upstream for you so that next time you do a pull, it know from where to pull the code.

Now if you want to merge this remote branch into your-own working branch, you do this:

git pull origin thommie_branch

I am not very good at explaining things, so you better take a look at this too: Create a new branch with git and manage branches Ā· Kunena/Kunena-Forum Wiki Ā· GitHub

In Source Tree, creatign a new branch is very simple, there is an option under the branches section.

Great Idea to start a Community Project. But i have one question: Will this be more a traditional RTS or its still open to other suggestions? I am missing more tactical RTS games w/o Base Building, Micro-Management etc.
regards

Alright, Houseā€™s texturing is done. But Iā€™m just now reading your art style request XDā€¦

So ya, this will just be a demo piece I guess, good practice for me and something for you guys to use that isnā€™t just a cube for testing the logic.

Tris: 1,400
Texture: 1024x1024
Normal: 1024x1024
LightMap: 1024x1024 (MIP mapped down in ue4 to 256x256)(I use the MIP map term right? or is it just scaled down?)

And I guess what else would people add to this? are there more maps needed for ā€œprofessionalā€ models?

With the viewport being so far from models in RTSā€™s and with the possibility of many objects being on the screen at one time, is it a good idea to keep the maps smaller like this? or would I be safe to bump it up to 2048x2048 resolution?

I also didnā€™t like how my normal map turned out, especially on the brick, anyone have a good normal mapping technique they would like to share?

@Brennen1350

Nice job!

Whats the vertex count?

Also is there any consesus on the level of details for the models? I mean what is the accepted range of verts and tris count for a modal of this scale in this project?

Vertex count is 2,400.

And as for level of detail, your guess is as good as mine. I figure it should be relatively low because of how far away the view-port is, you really wonā€™t see to much refined detail.

No crazy 20,000 tri zbrush models I would assume but again, I have no baseline.

@Brennen1350: Very nice! Would you be able to change the texture to this art style as i mentioned? That would be really cool. :slight_smile:

Well 1k maps seems fine. Although as you mentioned since the view will be far away i think 512 can be good too. That way project size can also be significantly smaller.

Iā€™ll probably just make a new model. That art style doesnā€™t look good with the kind of scatter overlapping UVā€™s that I abused in that model, and UV mapping is one of those things that is so tedious I can only do once per model or else I just get frustrated and bored.

@, I synced the project and received your changes, however the problem is still there.

About this issue:

• It occurs when you play the game in the editor, I have black bars at the top and the bottom in this situation. This causes the rectangle to be offset by the height of 1 black bar.
  • Itā€™s pixel perfect when you Launch the game (windowed) from the editor, no black bars, no offset.
  • As soon as I maximize that window, the problem is there again. In this case, I have black bars on the sides, guess what: this causes the rectangle to be offset by the width of 1 black bar.
  • When I go full screen (alt+enter), equally distributed black bars (in the proportions of my monitor), its pixel perfect again.

The mouse position is determined by the viewport, and the screen position by the world.

Is this a known issue or even a non issue because of the way the engine works with black bars? Should we still look into it?

Something else, do we have or want a roadmap of some kind for this game? I think it would be a good idea to share our ideas in something like a mind map format, so we can see what kind of work lies ahead of us, and to discover aspects we need to put (more) thought in. We could split up the various aspects that go into making a (RTS) game, such as the art style we aim for (I think there are already pretty clear ideas about that), a story and maybe resulting from that the (number/types of) factions, game modes etcā€¦ If you want I could make a start with that, and share it in a format we can all add our thoughts to. This may also help people deciding what they can contribute to the game.

The issue should now be fixed. Can you get the latest version and confirm?

You are right cstpsmā€¦A roadmap should be great and help us and newcomers to track development progress. I will be really grateful if you can start one and share it. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m currently at work but will test it as soon as I get home. And I have the next 4 days off work so Iā€™ll put something online to structure our thoughts/ideas :slight_smile: Something that I would like to work on is movement queueing for units, and/or rally points for buildings.

EDIT: Issue is resolved, that is, I canā€™t get black borders to appear, so the world is the same as the screen size :slight_smile: Good enough as far as Iā€™m concerned, good job!

We do seem to have a slightly similar issue with the move cursor, BP_Arrow_Curve. This is also offset but Iā€™m not yet sure what is causing this, it seems that the location in the screen you click in plays a role, and the current screen rotation. If I find out more Iā€™ll let you know.

Great. Cant wait to see it. You plan to Trello or something else?

Thank you cstpsm. Good to hear that issue is resolved.

I pushed a new change to Github just now. This issue should be fixed. Can you get the latest version and confirm?

Confirmed, cursor is fine now.

Yes Trello looks like a fine platform to put actual tasks and new ideas on. However, before we define something as a task, we should (imho) consider if we actually want something, and if so, how we want it.

Yesterday, travelling back from work (by train) I put everything I could think of (in 30 minutes) relevant to the game (development) in a mind map. After that it took quite some time to find a decent online place to collaborate on this thing, but it is:

This one is not great on the eyes, but it is easily editable if youā€™re added as a collaborator (let me know your email address and I can add you):
http://mind42.com/mindmap/b1dd5be0-3d54-40a0-987d-127f90f337b6

The following is an image export (used a separate tool for that), which is a bit easier on the eyes:

It boggles my mind to see how much stuff I could come up with on my own, but I think it really helps in proportioning the huge amount of work we have ahead of us. Maybe it would be good to use Trello to focus on a couple of bigger subjects that we can work on already in this early stage.

I think this format should work pretty well:
https://trello.com/b/OFwpdFdD/ue-community-rts-game

Thanks. Good to hear that. :slight_smile:

Awesome map cstpsm. I never thought about that much in this RTS game. Thank you very much for that :). I have created an account on mind42 and PMā€™ed you my email address. I already have Trello account so please add me there too. Can we create a new mind map for what we currently developed?

Added you on both sites. I think we could already use the board we have for bugs, would be nice if we can do a short description of the solution for each bug, so everyone can learn from it. And yes it would be good to keep track of stuff we have already developed, Iā€™ll think of something good soon :slight_smile:

Iā€™m currently looking at the waypoint movement, and still learning my way around the current movement/selection setup. Iā€™ll put that on the Trello board so you can see that Iā€™m working on that.

Update: Made some good progress with the waypoint movement, I was able to queue up moves and execute them with the AI Behaviour tree. Quite messy ā€˜codeā€™ though, so I will do it again tomorrow, second version is always better :slight_smile:

Great work cstpsm! :). I have added some cards to trello. I have also started working on a new map called FayCliff (available on GitHub).

4f4fe06669f5d10d651548b460ccf38a392ca41e.jpeg

Updated Resources card with this info:

Resources:
Resource should be of four types:

*Normal Resources *

• Wood
  • Metal
  • Food

Special Resources

• Medicines
  • Relics
  • Various resource bundles

Rare Resources

• Rare Relics
  • Diamonds
  • Rare Potions

Automatic Resources

• Knowledge
  • Skill

1: Normal Resources

These resources will be widely available everywhere on Map. Some resources can also be made artificially (like food via farming or livestock).

2: Special Resources

These resources can be found as you explore the map. Some may be hidden so you will need an animal to find them. Relics can be placed in ruined structures so that the player need to destroy (costs resources or coins) them first to see if any relic is available.

3: Rare Resources

As the name says these are rare and will be placed randomly. Rare items can be traded for large of amount of money or resources.

4: Automatic Resources

Knowledge resource automatically increases as you progress through the game and explore more places and gather more resources. Using knowledge you can unlock new structures and other things.
Skill resource automatically increases as you place new structures and create new units. With higher skills you can place new structures (in same class) and create new units (in same class) in lesser time.

Ok, finally some time to properly react this week.

First of all, thanks for the explanation and for including my name so i donā€™t have to change anything :slight_smile:

I will be creating a branch for myself (probably tomorrow) for unfinished stuff.

Nice work with the ideas, and mindmap&trello! I will have to add some of my ideas to it when i get the chance (should i pm you my email? or how does it work?).

Also a note on placing buildings on top of eachother, my changes were never included in the project (only my fork). I will start working on changing the current project to include my changes.
And a question, i was thinking about GUI, are we going to use canvas/UMG/something else?

Great. Cant wait to see it!

You should PM your email address to cstpsm so he can add you on mind42.com and invite you to join Trello.

This is something we need to think about seriously. TBH, canvas is not on my list. I am thinking about UMG and Coherent-UI but not sure which one to use. I want to stick with Coherent-UI but i cannot decide it alone so I will email Coherent-UI developer if he can come up with some solution. But if it aint gonna work we will stick with UMG or any other HUD solution.

Well i tried to update it in a hurry and broke some things, will either fix or start over tomorrow.
Also if you could allow me to create a branch/update my branch on your project that would be nice :slight_smile:

Sending you my Email via PM also have a few questions :slight_smile:

are my questions -

1. Do we have a game design document or some sort of solid plan on how this will unfold gameplay wise?
  2. Would it be possible to derive some ā€œElementsā€ from Taylorā€™s Kings and Castles?
  3. Do we want to target just 64 bit systems to make the best RTS we can?

@ryanjon2014:

I had nothing else to do today and was bored. So I downloaded your git repository and gave it a try. I must say impressive!
However I found the camera movement and zooming too linear. I mean when you want go all the way across the map or to get a long shot of stuff below, I found that the movement speed to too slow. So I thought why not implement a curve based movement.

So I went ahead and forked your repo and implemented it. Its experimental and very basic. But seems to be working. I have created a pull request on Git if you want to check it out.

NOTE: I created it with engine v4.4.0 I am not sure if this is compatible with the existing project, so take precautions. Another thing is unfortuantely my USB mouse driver got some problems and I cannot click-and drag anymore. So connecting the blueprint nodes is a chore and I ended up with a somewhat cluttered mess. So forgive me.