[Community Project] Real Time Strategy Game. NEW MODELS AVAILABLE. SEE POST #1

Just downloaded your latest commits, and up next on my list is making sure you can’t place buildings on top of eachother.

Awesome…Thanks . Just now i added selection of multiple characters (selection box) and moving them around! Am uploading a new video right now. Please check back in a few minutes. :slight_smile:

Video of Update #1:

EDIT: I’ve pushed the latest changes to Github. Please download the latest version.

I’ve done some minor changes, those include:
-improving grid placement
-buildings can no longer be built on top of units or other buildings
-both buildings and units can now be selected
-Building_Master has been edited so it’s no longer half in the ground

Available

P.S. multiple character selection is wonderful.

Amazing idea and progress so far. I really hope to contribute something down the road.
Unfortunately work load is making a mess of my time at the moment (freelance artist). :frowning:

First off, I’d like to say this is a great idea and very ambitious. Unfortunately I’m also a noob so I won’t be able to contribute very much, but I will tack in and there.

don’t know if this is just me but the selection box is functioning weird on my setup.
The box appears -300ish pixels on the Y axis from the actual click/release, in your video it seems to be functioning perfectly.

My setup is 2 1080p monitors

Any idea on what would cause this?

Great . Now the question is how can I include your changes in my project? I think you need to do a Pull Request…right? Are you using Git for Windows?

Its ok DraganM. I hope you can work on this project soon. :slight_smile:

Hi Brennen. That seems weird. I dont have any problems . Can anyone else with 1080p monitor check this issue?

Pushed a new change to Github. Added a Landscape map. Thanks to Michal Arendt.

My last post wasn’t submitted unfortunately, so we go again, will do a short version now:

• Looking forward to contribute to this project (great idea by the way!)
  • Have been computer playing games all my life
  • Inexperienced with UnrealEngine (or game development in general)
  • Have been working in IT for financial institutions for about 8 years, doing functional testing, performance/load testing and programming in Java, JavaScript, some C, and web-development in general. So I’m very much used to thinking in/working with objects, functions, variables.
  • I am reading up on game development/engines to learn more about topics such as movement, vector math etc.
  • I like thinking up game ideas and modifications but haven’t really got around to realizing them, I guess this is my chance.

So if you’ll have me, I’d be happy to help with this game!

By the way, I am able to reproduce the issue reported by Brennen1350, so I will look into that in the next couple of days.

Was adding some low poly meshes for demo work (better than squares right?)
They are not the best so I don’t expect them to make it very far, hopefully someone makes some better ones.

Ran into a problem with the texturing though (and gave up for a bit).

I also wanted to test Git Hub more, turns out sync doesn’t work? or at least not as I expected. For me to get your updated version I have to first delete mine then clone to desktop. Is there a better method?

Anyways I’ll request a pull on github if you want em.

Thank you cstpsm. I need every help i can get for this. :slight_smile:

I just pushed a new change to RTS_HUD. Can you please check if the issue persists?

Great Brennen! Please pull a request on GitHub so i can integrate it into this project.

You can use GitHub for Windows to clone this project to your PC and stay updated. :slight_smile:

First of all, sorry for the late answer, i forgot my password and the reset email took at least 2 hours to arrive and by then the link was invalid…

I am using Git for Windows, but i won’t be able to do a pull request today (and probably not tomorrow either) but as soon as i get back i will do whatever it is that needs to be done.

I’ve got the same setup as Brennen and i’ve had no problems with anything hud related.

I had the same problem at first, then it turned out i was trying to sync my fork of the project, which hadn’t been updated so nothing new showed up. You need to make sure you’ve got Ryanjon’s and then it does work. If you go to his repository and then click clone in desktop it should open up Github for Windows and then you’re all ready to go.

My issue is that I cannot update my fork to the latest version, If I clone ryanjon’s to desktop I can’t update my fork with it and if I try to sync it says “no permission” which makes sense because it’s your branch.

So how do I get my fork updated to the latest version of the project?

I guess I will request a pull of my out dated version (with the models until I figure this out.

I tend to use Atlassian Source Tree (its free) instead of Github for Windows. I feel that Github for Windows is pretty basic and glitchy at times.

When you want the latest code from the repository, you should do a Pull. This will bring new changes taht happened in the server version into your local copy. I thought ‘Sync’ in Github for Windows was supposed to do this. But it turns out that it does one thing in addition. Instead of just pulling the code from sever, Sync check to see if you have any local changes that the sever does not and if that is the case, it will try to upload (push) your own chaghes to server as well. This may not be what you always want.

So I think you might want to use the git shell instead. In the shell, simply do a pull and that will make sure changes made in the server are now in your local copy as well.

However if you intend to work on a fork, instead of working directly on ryanjon’s git repository, you will need to setup an upstream:

Check this link for details. Make sure you read the commenst for the3 answer. github - Pulling changes from fork parent in Git - Stack Overflow

Sadly you will need to use the shell for this.

Ok so i received a pull request from Brennen1350 but it doesn’t show up on Git client am using. :confused:

Or do i have to manually accept them through Github site?

Hi …Which one do you recommend?

Goto the site.

I tend to like Source Tree more. However I had always used either the command line tool (git shell) or Egit from within Eclipse IDE. I am new to both Github for Windows and Source Tree. But from a technical point of view Source Tree seems more familiar to how I used Git so far.

PS: Egit (eclispe plugin) is the easiest way to work with Git so far. The commands all seem to make more sense. But it is not relevent (although I managed to do commit, merge, psuh… to my Unreal fork using it). But keeping eclispe just for managing Git repository is not idea.

Unreal Engine has built-in source control right? Haven’t tried it yet, but it seems to support perforce…having this work right from the editor would be great for projects like this.
I am talking about this: Collaboration and Version Control in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

UPDATE: Has anyone tried this: Git Source Control Provider Plugin - C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums

Tried merging Brennen1350’s pull request and had a conflict with Test_Map.uasset. But lol…I dont know what i did (some commands via Git Powershell) but now i have his new Static Meshes on my PC. :slight_smile:

EDIT: After merging, it removed all my newly created AI Blueprints. :mad:

&d=1408431326

Yup am using SVN.

Saw that but didnt tried it yet.

By the way if anyone wants to try out SVN source control for this project, then please give me your Email address via PM. I can then invite you to join to my CloudForge project.

NOTE: Please use it ONLY to check in Blueprints. Please DO NOT add any other stuffs like meshes, maps etc. Space is limited.

&d=1408431987

Did you commit your local changes and pushed them to server before the merging?

lol, i’m sorry about your AI blueprints.

Maybe you could make a separate branch just for test commits, for us newbs.
You might have to manually transfer the assets over this way.

Personally I’m not liking github too much, I’m willing to adapt too it but my experiences with SVN’s like Subversion or even sharing via drop box has been 10 fold better.
Kind of annoying how you can only do somethings in the command prompt, somethings in the desktop gui, and somethings on the website. I need consolidation I guess.

Anyways I’m re-UV mapping the house mesh right now and I’ll texture it sometime tomorrow. I was also thinking about how other popular RTS’s building systems work.
We could have like a 3-4 mesh system, 1 for placement and then 2-3 for construction that change as the production is completed and then 1 for the final production (or more that could be randomly selected for variance).

I don’t think I’m going to continue work on the lighthouse, as it was more of a background map prop anyways.

(I also not only accept all criticisms but am begging for them, I don’t know if I’m adhering to the correct standards/doing stuff wrong and if any one can give any advice it would be greatly appreciated)

Github is very powerful and the way branches work in git is much more refiend than in SVN (I am using both). But you are right SVN is a bit more simple to learn. The need for switching between Shell and GUI stems from the fact that the GUI tool is not comphrehesive enough. Thats why I started to use Source Tree recently. It supports much more options and branch management is way better than Github For Windows.

Also to anyone new to GitHub, dont forget about the Network Graph. That is a powerful feature of GitHub where you can see what each branch is doing and how much code your branch has…

I also advice you to work with multiple branches. Create a new branch for each new feature (or each user) and work the branch. Once it feels like done, merge it to the master branch. In the current proejct I am wokring on (not a game project and its fully code), each programmer has his-own branch. We do not make changes to another persons branch. However if i feel like I want someone elses code in my branch, I will simply checkout that user’s branch and merge it into mine. At the end of the week, we merge all our branches to the master. And on the start of next week, each person will merge the master back into their own individual branch so everyone has the latest code, and start working from that.

I think in tropico when you create a farm, they are simply putting the plants below the map surface and move them up and scale up size with time (with vertex shader proabaly). Ofcourse this may notwork for Buildings, where we should see super structure (pillars, truss…) during the bulding process. So in that case it is more apt to use multiple meshes liek you said, I think.

Nope.

No worries mate :). They were just basic and i’ve already re-created them and i’ll push them in a few minutes.

Awesome. Cant wait to see them textured :). I request you to follow this kind of art style. Thats what am aiming for. :slight_smile:

Yes. Thats how i did it in my old video.

Ok so should i create a new branch for and Brennen1350?