CommonUI Back Handling not being called. At my wits end.

Hi there, I’m currently at my wits end attempting to get CommonUI’s back actions working with Enhanced Input.

I’ve followed both the unreal setup guides for CommonUI and CommonUI with Enhanced Input but I cannot get my activatable widgets to trigger their back actions.

I’ve ensured that the GameViewportClientClass is set to CommonGameViewportClient

I’ve ensured that the CommonInputSettings has the correct Input Data assigned, as well as has the EnableEnhancedInputSupport checked.

I’ve tried every possible combination of Back, Activation, and Input variables on the Class Defaults of my Activatable widgets.

I’ve ensured that my Activatable widgets have an input mapping set.

My PrimaryGameLayout widget is a derivation from CommonUserWidget.

I’ve looked through all the guides and other unreal questions but no one seems to have any issues after following the above changes. This is a new project with only the main menu and UI basics setup. Please tell me there’s something I’m missing as I cannot imagine what it could be.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think I’ve found the culprit, but I’m not sure why this is happening. Here’s a step by step.

I have one widget (MainMenu) with an IMC.
I then push another widget onto the stack (Settings) which uses the same IMC.

Using enhanced input’s debug it shows that no IMC is enabled when I enter into the Settings menu.

There must be some issue with unloading an activatable widget and loading another where identical IMCS run into a timing issue?

If I REMOVE the IMC from the main menu, it loads correctly for the settings and works as intended.

Additional follow up:

When pushing another widget onto the stack (and both have auto-activate enabled) it calls the Activation of the widget BEFORE the deactivation of the widget being removed. Thus it is applying the IMC (which does nothing because it is already applied) and then removes it immediately.

The “quick fix” is to disable auto activation on both widgets, however this is not a solution to this issue if you intend to use the ActivatableWidget’s Activate/Deactivate features.

Another oddity is just the fact that it works without activating the widget. How does the input management know that the IMC should be placed onto the stack?

Pretty much ran into the exact same thing. I am not sure how I fixed it.
There is some weirdness around having the IMCs set with the same thing and auto-activation. I didn’t figure it out, It just got massaged until it worked with auto-activation turned off everywhere.

My test project was following the YouTube tutorial released by epic, it pretty much has a main common ui container with two stacks for menus and prompts. Getting the back behavior to work properly was very cumbersome and I still am not clear on what’s going on. Please make a new tutorial video epic! The original was pretty rough with lots of fumbling around on a live stream and could use a remaster.

CommonUI is still WIP, the documentation page also says the input handling has not been thoroughly tested. Even Epic’s Lyra menu UI has bugs; unless you need to multiplatform gameplaytags functionality or the layers I wouldn’t necessarily bother with it for the time being.