Color Loss / Washed Out Colors - Does Anyone Know how to fix this?

I’m having some trouble importing files into unreal, the issue is the color changes drastically. As you can see in the image the two examples on the left are vibrant and popping but the imported texture in unreal is very dull and washed out.

I’ve been searching all over the internet today and am running out of things to try. Though I’d be willing to try them for the tenth time if someone could point me in the right direction.

So far I’ve tried:

toggling the sRGB switch-
Changing the compression settings-
Exporting original document in 8,16 and 32 bit as well as PNG,TGA, and JPEG-
I’ve also tried playing around with the color adjustments-
changing the gamma of the original image from 1 to 0.45 as well as 2.2-
Turning off tone mapping and color correction in the view mode. (didn’t expect this to work as I’m working on ui elements)

The original point of this was to simply import some of my vector art into the UI as a test to get to know the interface a bit. The tutorial i’m watching is just introducing me to widgets and the general UI building as i’m just starting out and learning the basics. So I’m wondering how does one import images and preserve the natural colors and vibrancy with as much accuracy as possible? Seems strange that its only happening in unreal.

that’s about all you need to know about the question and can stop reading here if you like but if your fine with reading more I posted a little bit more below.

From my understanding a number of other people have been having similar issues with their textures but for them it’s trying to get the color right in their game. There was a lot of content to go through but the just of it seemed to be that unreal uses a post processing volume at the end to do color adjustments and tone mapping. But that doesn’t really help me in the UI or even just getting my texture to be represented with accurate color matching in the viewer.

Another person also mentioned how unreal tends to lean on the realism side creating more physically accurate materials and textures. Along with them the colors become altered to simulate a more physically accurate representation of that color. I won’t go into the details but a video I watched from one of the unreal developers made me understand a little better. It talked about color science and the battle of trying to get all the color and lighting information into a sensible range that could then be represented as a value between 0 and 1 so the pixel on our screen could represent that colored light. Long story short getting highly saturated values and vibrant colors aren’t exactly physically accurate? So they aren’t exactly a part of the standard workflow? I’m still trying to figure this out.

What about more stylistic and creative games? while realism is awesome and getting better all the time I kind of just want to know how to skip the realism when I need to and have some control over my colors during the editing process. Maybe I’m getting too ahead of myself but I suppose that’s what will happen when you spend all day trying to find an answer. I was honestly thinking this was going to be a much quicker search for an answer, but I guess anything worth knowing is worth a bit of a hunt.

I don’t know why this is, but have you tried just adjusting the saturation of the texture in UE?

Also headscratching with this issue.

It’s true realism does not want full saturated images, but that means you need to be aware of that when you create your textures. The idea of the engine lowering saturation of imported bitmaps to “improve realism” is absurd, IMHO.

This must be a gamma or color space issue for sure.

Any cue?

1 Like

Edit: Turns out that I just forgot to set the image to be read as sRGB, oddly in my case the colors looked correct when looking at it in Unreals image viewer despite sRGB not being ticked, whilst being washed out in the Widget editor & in-game when displayed in the UI

For those unfamiliar, you enable it at the bottom here:

:wave:Same issue here

Importing RGBA sRGB color/linear png alpha channel images rendered from Blender, the images look significantly different in Unreal compared to say WIndows image viewer - brighter, washed out

probable FIX: It’s a gamma thing. I used a power node (or whatever they are called here - I’m very wet behind the ears with unreal) after the texture and it immediately sorted it out. The default of two looked fine, but 2.2 would be the official input of course.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Power node took care of that danged 16bit color issue.