Collision with Damage Volume attached to an animated static mesh (possibly the mesh as well) in a level sequencer got very weird after working for a long time.

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Devices

Summary

I have an imported mesh which is a giant worm boss that has a damage volume attached to its head in a few level sequencers which control its animations. Previously the animation would play when triggered by a verse device and if the player was standing where the damage volume passed through, they would take damage. Currently standing directly inside the damage volume does not trigger a damage event. On the other hand, standing in specific places nearby does trigger the damage event. I made the damage volume visible in game so I could double check and the volume visually appears in the correct places. I did a full beta test playing several games with a group of people aprx a month ago and it was working perfectly. I have made changes to the map since then, but nothing that should have affected the boss mob or any of its associated devices. I went into revision control and checked the version of the map I ran the beta test on aprx a month ago and the boss mob no longer works in exactly the same way.

Steps to Reproduce

1. choose a team by walking through portal.
  2. (optional) purchase shield potions so you can stand in the boss’s lair without dying.
  3. when map active warning sounds and the barrier is dropped run to the boss’s lair which is located in the north middle portion of the map and can be identified because it is the only area where there is lava.
    4.stand on the broken white path in the lava pit which is the safe zone.
  4. Wait for boss to spawn and begin automatically attacking.

Expected Result

The head of the boss should damage the player whenever it gets near them. Alternatively, during the breath attack the damage zone should be the size of the VFX of the spewed breath.

Observed Result

Standing near the head will not trigger damage, nor will the vfx from the breath spew. Instead damage occurs in odd places and timings near where the damage zone is visually located.

Platform(s)

PC

Island Code

4273-2343-3431

Additional Notes

This is a private version of the island which is what I am testing now. It is the one currently available for playtesting under this code 5852-8391-1539. If you need a beta invite to check on this i can send you a link. I would also be happy to create a video showing the issue, the level sequences, verse code etc… if that would be helpful. Everything else on the map is working, I just need to figure out what happened to the boss so I can do a bigger beta test and hopefully publish so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.