Code Changes Not Affecting Game

Hello,

First off this is using UE5 EA but I think it’s more of a VS issue but I can move it to the UE forum if it should be there instead.

So I’ve been working on this project for a few weeks and everything has been going just fine, until yesterday when I created some new AActor class C++ files. I added some components like USphereComponent and UProjectileMovementComponents, and noticed that in order to change initial values on them (sphere radius, velocity, gravity scale, etc.) I would have to close my project, close VS, then do the whole delete binaries/intermediate and re-generate VS project files dance. I didn’t think much of this since components have always been a little wonky as far as I can remember. Note that this was with spawned actors, it wasn’t already-placed actors not having the constructor run again.

Anyway, I noticed now that absolutely none of my code changes will appear in game until I close everything, and delete binaries/intermediate and generate the VS files again. Not even AddOnscreenDebugMessage calls.

I’ve tried deleting everything except Config/Source/Content, I haven’t made any changes the .ini files, the builds succeed and I don’t see anything strange in the output log. I do notice that the .vs directory is gone, but IntelliSense still works for the project.

Build started...
1>------ Build started: Project: Bazooka, Configuration: Development x64 ------
1>'"C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\GetDotnetPath.bat"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
1>operable program or batch file.
1>Win64 using Manual SDK 10.0.18362.0
1>Invalidating makefile for Bazooka (BazookaCharacter.cpp modified)
1>Building Bazooka...
1>Using Visual Studio 2019 14.28.29334 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29333) and Windows 10.0.18362.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
1>[Adaptive Build] Excluded from Bazooka unity file: BazookaCharacter.cpp, HealthBarComponent.cpp, FloatingHealthBar.cpp, BaseWidget.cpp, IGetBazookaCharacter.cpp, IGetBazookaController.cpp, BazookaAbility.cpp, AbilityActor.cpp, ProjectileAbilityActor.cpp, StaticAbilityActor.cpp, BazookaAttributeSet.cpp, PlayMontageAndWaitForEvent.cpp, BazookaController.cpp, Bazooka.cpp, BazookaGameMode.cpp
1>Building 4 actions with 16 processes...
1>  [1/4] BazookaCharacter.cpp
1>  [2/4] BazookaController.cpp
1>  [3/4] Bazooka.exe
1>     Creating library I:\Bazooka\Binaries\Win64\Bazooka.lib and object I:\Bazooka\Binaries\Win64\Bazooka.exp
1>  [4/4] Bazooka.target
1>Total time in Parallel executor: 27.27 seconds
1>Total execution time: 28.70 seconds
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Actually looking at it now, it says BazookaCharacter.cpp, BazookaController.cpp excluded from Unity Build but those files are being compiled

I’ve also noticed that even when closing everything and rebuilding the files, the actors I created around the time this problem started won’t print anything to screen, even if the default values change.

Any suggestions would be a big help!

Are you working on UE5 and Visual Studio individually or you are invoking UE Editor from inside VS ?

I’m working on them individually

Are you using a inherited blueprint from this class ? Sometimes, new C++ codes you write won’t effect on your bp

So I suggest if there is a blueprint , you must delete it and make it again

Otherwise , go to your project address and delete those files(Saved , Intermediate , Binaries) , don’t worry this files will be REGENERATED as soon as you click at the project icon avaliable at your project adress , it will ask you question and start rebuilding that files we talk about , it will solve your problem and refresh everything

These methods can solve your problem , If you don’t have any logical bug in your code
For example a part of your code works if a boolean return true but you forgot to set it true

If you like , and the comment helped you , please mark it as the answer , so it can help others

1 Like