CLion + Unreal

Hello,

I’m a newbie in c++, so i get lost with some terminology.

Well, I’m trying to use the CLion IDE to develop with unreal, because I developed with phpstorm and Intelij, and I’m very happy with that IDE.
I read that, since 4.2, unreal includes CMakeLists.txt files, so i searched for them and found some cmake files in the engine source code, but now I don’t know what to do with that files, neither could find that files in my unreal projects.

Maybe this is basic, but I’m kinda lost with that

Thx for the help :slight_smile:

On Windows, only Visual Studio is supported. Besides, CLion is not anywhere close to a production-ready IDE.

UE4 doesn’t use CMake, it uses a custom build tool called UnrealBuildTool. So unless CLion supports custom build setups, it won’t support UE4. There’s also community support for QCreator. That might help you get it working with CLion.

I’m working in Linux and i want know how use with CLion too.

1 Like

Any updates on this? Coming from IntelliJ and having to use VS2013 is doing my head in. Not to mention that VS runs like an absolute pig. I trust the people that created Resharper with my money!

As someone else who comes from JetBrains IDEs, I agree whole-heartedly that VS is a horrible experience; it feels like it works against me every step on the way instead of helping me.

So if anybody gets CLion to work pretty well, I’d be very interested to know :slight_smile:

I would be interested in this, too. Also developing on Linux.

I think so, i think so. I’m using PyCharm and i decided use CLions for C++, i don’t want use QtCreator, i think that it is like VS, horrible.

Version 4.9 can generate CMake files. See the release notes:

Have you tried using that method?

I testet Clion on GNU/Linux using the cmake files (just do what djw was suggesting, pass -cmakefile to UBT) and it works. Maybe not fully integrated because it has no Code Accessor nor the IDE menu in the ue4 editor works but you can use it.

I’d be interested to know if anyone who has tried the -cmakefile option experienced the external source files issue I reported here.

Hello Bajee! Please explain how to generate cmakefile project only for game project (not whole engine) in mac os x. I want to use engine binary from launcher and clion IDE for my projects.

Thanks!

Create a C++ project, if you don’t have one already.

Open Terminal and enter:
[FONT=Courier New]mono /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.9/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -cmakefile -game -project <path to your .uproject file>

Open the resulting CMakeLists.txt in CLion.

When you add a new class to your project in the Editor, you’ll have to run the above command again. Alternatively you can add new classes from within CLion, which will add them to the CMakeLists.txt file.

I’m not sure if building and/or debugging works with CLion currently. I usually just compile in the Editor and debug with Xcode. I only need CLion for code assistance.

Thanks for the answer. I tried it with my existing c++ project and I’ve got error:

mono /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.9/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -cmakefile -game -project /Volumes/Data\ Mac/Projects/STProject
UnrealBuildTool Exception: ERROR: A valid game project was not found in the specified location ()

Do you know why it occurs?

Upd:

If I leave out -game param from command, I’ve got this error:

UnrealBuildTool Exception: ERROR: …/…/Engine/Source/Programs/EnvVarsToXML/EnvVarsToXML/EnvVarsToXML.csproj doesn’t exist!

Upd 2:

I have got it working! it was necessary to specify the full path to the .uproject file. Thanks! =)

You need to specify the .uproject file, not the folder.

Hi,

I’m getting started with Unreal. I’m trying to follow this example: Unreal Engine CPP Quick Start | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation in Linux using CLion. It kind of works following the described steps in this thread but it has lots of issues with includes. Most of the stuff it can’t find and ends up in red. Is this expected? Any workaround?

unreal_includes.png

Thanks!

Hi all, I return to try to use CLion with unreal and now I’m using UE 4.10 on windows, sucsefull generate the CMakeList.txt on my project, so what should I do now? I open my project on CLion and I don’t know how I can compile the project, or get the autocomplete working, seems like the project is not set up correctly, but how can I set it correctly?

Thx :slight_smile:

[EDIT]

To clarify what is happening, here is a screenshot of Clion with the CMakeList and their errors (I think is not normal that I got empty header files, source files, include directories etc…)

Hello,

I am also very interested on a very small step-by-step on how to build->compile->debug the Game project to the engine and the little integrations like creating a class from inside the Editor (all that using CLion)

You see, I am also a java programmer(althought I learned a little of C++ on graduation like 10 years ago :slight_smile: and really ppl should check jetbrains IDE because puts the visual studio at the ground…

Thanks in advance… best regards!

Just as a heads up to everyone that comes across this thread. CLion now has a plugin for Unreal 4.

Wow, that sounds great!
Have you tried it, does it work well?