Clients Dying Respawns Server Player

Hello, I am in need of help. I’ve fried my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong while looking over the tutorial I watched for this over and over again and searching through countless forums on here while looking for my answer. I used the tutorial below to create a basic respawn system for a small multiplayer game that I wanted to play with friends of mine, but the issue described in the title is stopping me from completing this. The server player respawns just like it should, but if any of the clients die, the server respawns and the client stays dead.

Tutorial: Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial - Online Multiplayer Part 11: Player Respawn - YouTube

Never ever use the “Get Player Controller (0)” node on server side code. That’s a static method that has no context. The server has a handle to all player controllers in the game, and without context it has no way of knowing which one you want to target.

You want to respawn the player that just died right? So that’s the controller of the pawn (self). Use “Get Controller” instead, which is a non-static member method within Pawn/Character.

1 Like

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply! That explanation makes a lot of sense and I really appreciate it! I tried your described method for doing it, but only the client respawns. The server just disappears. . . The thing is though, I figured out I can reach the effect I wanted by placing large trigger boxes where I placed the Kill Z that teleport you back to the spawn position. Again though, thank you!