Clean project, render settings for maximum performance

Hello Everyone,

I am quite new with UE5 and testet things for a dozen of weeks. Basics of movement and other stuff are working as intended, but since ever I had quite low FPS and never understood why. Spawning hordes of enemies only made things worse and unplayable. So I started from the scratch again with a clean Third Person project to understand performance a bit better.

Following this thread Low FPS on clean blank packaged project in full-screen I started to disable things from the settings rendering tab and the post processing volume. Got from 80 to 180 fps (my machine is quite old) in a level with just a plane and my moveable third person character. I still get the feeling there is more to gain. Could have gone on but I unchecked something that I should not have. Result was endless hours of compiling shaders which I had to abort.

The problem is that I dont really know what should be disabled and what not. Some settings seem to improve performance while others dont. Should I deactive as much as I can in the settings rendering tab or keep it on and set everything to zero in the post processing volume?

TLDR: What should I change in settings/rendering tab and/or post process volume to maximize my performance? I basically only want my third person character and simple lightning to start working and gradually adding what I can without losing much performance.

Thank you guys for your help.

Greetings,
ABXYLRSS