City sample in houdini can't process and export

I followed the City Sample Quick Start tutorial until setp 11, Generate the City Caches and Export Data.
but when i press process city base,houdini display this.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “city::Sop/processor::1.0/process_base”, line 1, in
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.657/houdini/python3.7libs\hou.py”, line 49450, in getattr
return hou.HDAModule___getattr_(self, name)
AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘do_base’

Then I tried all the export buttons under “processor”,they are all the same.
I changed the houdini version,update sideFX,no work ,still the same
so have anyone konw where i error :smiling_face_with_tear:

hello,
I have the same problem, do you have a solution.
Thanks!

no,No one on the internet says this,I’m close to giving up :smiling_face_with_tear:

Good luck, I have a way.
You need to complete parentheses for “print” in python code.

4 Likes

strangeness,After modification it shows a bunch of errors,but works。
so strangeness :rofl:
you are the real hero

1 Like

Which version of Houdini are you using? Officially it says that version 18.5.532 is required, but 18.5.532 is only available on Mac platforms, and this project is only suitable for windows10, which confuses me.

is 18.5.532,it can dowload on houdini website,some hard to find。
and ,when i use ‘process city furniture’ the time,it shows some other errors(tons error)
do you same?

File “Sop/null/export_all”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘freeway_export’

File “Sop/filecache/execute”, line 1, in
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.532/houdini/python3.7libs\houpythonportion\ui.py”, line 1081, in decorator
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.532/houdini/python3.7libs\hou.py”, line 69104, in render
return _hou.RopNode_render(self, *args, **kwargs)
hou.OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Error: Cook error in input: /obj/geo1/processor1/Bldg_COLLISON_AND_ROOF_PARSING/City_Tile_Parser_arbitrary_collision/filecache2/cast_attributes
Error: Invalid source /obj/geo1/processor1/Bldg_COLLISON_AND_ROOF_PARSING/City_Tile_Parser_arbitrary_collision/foreach_end5
Error: Failure to cook template geometry…

File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.532/houdini/python3.7libs\houpythonportion\ui.py”, line 1081, in decorator
File “C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.532/houdini/python3.7libs\hou.py”, line 69104, in render
Error: Cook error in input: /obj/geo1/processor1/Bldg_COLLISON_AND_ROOF_PARSING/City_Tile_Parser_arbitrary_rooftops/filecache2/cast_attributes
Error: Invalid source /obj/geo1/processor1/Bldg_COLLISON_AND_ROOF_PARSING/City_Tile_Parser_arbitrary_rooftops/foreach_end5

Error: Cook error in input: /obj/geo1/processor1/Bldg_COLLISON_AND_ROOF_PARSING/City_Tile_Parser_arbitrary_rooftops/filecache2/cast_attributes
Error: Invalid source /obj/geo1/processor1/Bldg_COLLISON_AND_ROOF_PARSING/City_Tile_Parser_arbitrary_rooftops/foreach_end5

I made an error when executing “PDG Process”, so I tried “Process city without PDG”, but it seems that because of insufficient space on the C drive, the error of “houdini segmentation fault saving application” is still reported.

so do i,I still have more than 500gb of space on my C drive,but just have 64g ram,The usage rate is over 98%,maybe is raw the problem。Because when I reboot,it just use 60% raw,and “Process city without PDG” not jump error anymore,but “export all pbc” ,Error still pops up。

File “Sop/null/export_all”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘freeway_export’

:upside_down_face:so i give up,now i try use data in ue5,see the error did affect results

ok,error is no roof,no freeway. :upside_down_face:

I’m still figuring this out, but installing the Py2 version of Houdini might solve this

Edit: Yep freeway_export.py is in Small_City\houdini\python2.7libs\freeway_export, so it’s looking for Python 2.

Also, apparently PBC files are not generated unless you shell out $270 for an indie license

yes,but when i ues py2 to bake the data,still missing roof,freeway lack of road surface,Too strange,i bake smallcity the data ,it all good。 :upside_down_face:

Hey there, I am getting the same initial error. I’ve added the parenthesis like you said and now I am getting this error:

I press ok and try to click " process city base" . It doesn’t work. I get this error:

Have you managed to succesfully recreate a different layout of the small city in Unreal?

p.s - I have a houdini indie license through steam.
p.p.s - I am using 18.5.532 - Phyton 3

In fact, most of the problems are caused by the wrong version of python, you can try switching Houdini version back to py2 version. In addition, the cracked version does not seem to have py2

Hello everyone,
@UnrealEngine5.1
Could someone from the unreal engine team confirm what Zcanann is saying ?

“Also, apparently PBC files are not generated unless you shell out $270 for an indie license”

Because it is not specified in the tutorial

1 Like

+1 to this issue

Currently on Free License, 19.5.303, Py 3.9

Will try older versions and hope it sorts it out.

The recommended version goes even worse and just spits constant errors.

let me try to remake a simpler city.

The Errors are in mass but here are the most common

Error:       Bad node type found: gamedev::sop_min_max_average in /obj/geo1/processor1/STREET_FURNITURE_ZONE_DEPENDANT/ground_processor1/measure_curvarture1.
Warning:     Skipping unrecognized parameter "attribute".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "attribute_type".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "folder0".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "method1".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "prefix1".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "detail_attribute1".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "method2".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "prefix2".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "detail_attribute2".
        [/obj/geo1/processor1/STREET_FURNITURE_ZONE_DEPENDANT/ground_processor1/measure_curvarture1/get_min_max_average1]

Warning:     Problem while synchronizing child node:
             Warning:     Skipping unrecognized parameter "lightdef".
             Skipping unrecognized parameter "lightfilterdef".
        [/obj/geo1/processor1/FREEWAY/matnet1/uv_debug/useColorMap]

Having the same Issue than @Robbie222. So ++++++1

I am using 19.5.503 on Windows 10 and the proposed version was worse with more errors on my end as well.

I don’t understand how there is nobody on youtube trying this like everything else with the city sample as this is one of the most powerful things of the whole Matrix Demo and City Sample.

@UnrealEngine5.1 we need your help here and a proper Tutorial on Inside Unreal.

1 Like

Hey everyone, first off I will say I am fairly new to Unreal and Houdini, yet I figured out how to get results and export files with the city sample process explained in the unreal tutorial .

I am using Houdini FX 19.5.368 python3 with the latest unreal plugin from Github for 19.5.368(I believe it’s release is 21 or 22 days old as of now)

I followed the Unreal tutorial and came across many of the same problems as everyone else. I will break it down in steps for what has worked for me.

These next steps are perfomed before opening Houdini

Step 1: Instead of creating the folders inside the city sample source and copying the Houdini folder to there, I wound up placing the Houdini folder in my $hip folder, which for me is C:\Users[user name] (not sure if this is standard as I am new to Houdini)

Step 2: I then placed the freeway_export.py and init.py in C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 19.5.368\python39\lib\freeway_export

Step 3: I edit the freeway_export.py, Every line that contained print message I put parentheses around message like so (message)

Now into Houdini

Step 4: I start a fresh project and rather than placing the nodes from the tab menu I copy them from the Small_City.hip. I open the Small_City.hip, copying and pasting to my project for each node as I go along.

4.1: Starting with the curve node(curve2) for the city shape, I then delete the points and
place my own for the shape of my city.

4.2: Now I copy the city layout node(layout2) and connect the curve to the proper
input City Shape(Input1)

4.3: Next I copy the curves(curve1 and curve3) and merge(merge1) node under city
arteries and place them in my project, Instead of deleting the points I move them to
my desired positions and connect the merge node to the proper input of the layout
node Arterial Splines(input2)

4.4:Continuing the same process with the city zones I copy the curves(curve4 & curve6)
as well as all other nodes connected(zone1 & zone2, color2 & color1, merge) and place
them in my project. For each curve you can either delete the points or move them to
where you need them. Next connect them to the proper input of the layout node City
Zones(input 3)

4.5:Moving on to the freeway path copy both nodes and paste them in your project edit
the curve(fr_curve_main) as you see fit

Be sure to switch Houdini to manual mode inside your project

4.6: Copy the city processor node(processor1) and place inside your project.

*Before connecting anything to this node*

Go to the options tab and switch connection 
   rules from Small City to Blank

Important

Right click the city processor node and select Type Properties
From here go to the Scripts tab use the find button and type print. You will need to add parentheses around 3 things. First “no pdg folder found” Second “no PDG result found” and Third “no CACHES folder found”.

Upon applying and accepting I would receive numerous errors if I had not placed the Houdini folder from the small_city folder in my $hip folder

4.7: Connect the city layout node(layout2) to the processor node processor1(City
Processor) city_layout(input1)

Connect the Freeway Util Curve Attributes node(curve_attributes2) to processor1(City 
   Processor) freeway_input(input 2)

4.8:Switch Houdini back to Auto Update mode and let the process complete

5.0: Now right click the processor node(City Processor) and click Allow Editing of
Contents

This next part I am not entirely sure about(You can perform it or not, it removes the red
triangle from the pdg_result node)

Fixing the PDG_results node(OPTIONAL)

5.1: Dive into the node and in section 4: Building Generators on the Buildings node you will
see the red problem triangle.

5.2: Right click the buildings node and click Allow Editing of Contents and dive in. You will
see the PDG_result node has another red triangle, go to the node above this
BUILDING_GENERATION_PDG_TOPNET, double click and dive in you will see the node
Bldg_generator click on this and look at the parameters shown you will notice the hda
file points to is a folder that is non existent, switch this to the building.hda contained
in C:\Users[user name}\houdini\otls

5.2.1: In the Task bar click Cook the output nodes work items. Once this completes 
   you can go up one level and click on the PDG_results node an the triangle will 
  disappear

Fixing the freeway_export reload problem(ESSENTIAL)*

5.1: Goto Section 2: Freeway and click on the Freeway node look at the parameters
window and make sure connection rules are set to blank

5.2:Right click the Freeway node and allow editing of contents, dive into the node and find the Control_Export node right click this and go to parameters and channels>edit parameter interface.

5.2.1: Once here look under existing parameters and click Export All(export_all), look 
   at call back script and match it to this

import freeway_export.freeway_export as fe;import importlib;importlib.reload(fe);fe.run()

Click apply and accept

Now the problems should all be fixed and you will be able to continue along with the city sample tutorial.

*I use “process city without PDG” then go to the next tab(caches and exports) and scroll down and click “EXPORT ALL PBC”( Not sure if it makes a difference if you use the button on the process tab or the caches and exports tab but I always use this one)

I was able to complete both sections of the tutorial, export to and generate my city in Unreal.

Once again I am new to both Unreal and Houdini, If someone is able to shorten the steps of this process by all means let’s all help each other out.

8 Likes