City sample in houdini can't process and export

Unfortunately I still cannot get it to work!

I have been trying everything and no luck

there was no need to copy paste or chaniging folder structure
we should just fix that print problem with the way that those guys said
also placing in the right folder structure(placing that freeway things I mean) and it worked for me with houdini 19.5 in houdini and unreal itself

First, you need to copy the freeway_export file to your hip file directory, in this case, if your hip file path is “G:Small_CitySmall_City.hip”, then the path freeway_export the file is “G:Small_City”.freeway_export this file can be found by querying “G:Small_City” directly.
Then, you need to go into freeway_export this file, find the init .py inside, open it in any way, and add the phrase “from . import freeway_export”, of course you can’t have double quotes. Then save and exit, at this time, according to the method mentioned in “WizzleOfOZ” above, find the “edit parameter interface” of 5.2, but you do not add his code, use this “import freeway_export as fe; fe.freeway_export.run()”, which will ensure that you don’t report “freeway_export module” faults again

1 Like

Got stuck with the same error (using recommended Houdini FX version - 18.5.532). Have you managed to figure out what was causing it?

I’ve spent nearly a week going through the City Sample Quick Start tutorial, restarted twice due to all the previously mentioned errors.

Got to the end and thought I’d finally completed it… no PCB folder was generated, no PCBs!

I’m using Houdini Apprentice, not the paid for version, is that the reason why?

1 Like

I’m having issues too. Even after fallowing WizzleOfOZ guide, I still can’t make it work. I can arrange files how I want, but I still get error when try to fix parentheses.
In 6 months we haven’t got fix for this from Epic!

You correct - Apprentice version does not export PCBs. Documentation is quote obscure about this, but the fact is that Apprentice version does not allow using resources produced in Houdini outside of Houdini. Indi version exports PCBs, but make sure that you start from scratch - Houdini project created with a non-commercial version (Apprentice) stays non-commercial even if you open it with a proper commercial version.

I have managed to generate PCBs and struggling right now with importing everything into UE. Getting a lot of issues when using UE5.1, so trying with UE5.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, Silentser503.

Perhaps Epic should have stated the licencing issue at the beginning of the tutorial.

The Houdini Indie licence is a bit steep for a one off tutorial, $270, but I’d probably pay for a monthly one if only to see the actual result and have a play around.

I still haven’t managed to produce a city, by the way. Stuck at executing the Rule processor.

With UE 5.1 I managed to import PCBs and geometries to the UE (needed to modify UE code to get rid of a crash when importing geometries), but the Rule Processor just does nothing when I hit "Run Rules button after replacing the Point Clouds with PBCs imported into UE.

With 5.0.3 it crashes while running RuleProcessor_City with some exception about double slashes in a path to a package, so I am trying now with UE5.0.3 built from source to see what can be done about it.

Fixing parentheses did work for me, but there were another issues that needed to be addressed. What is your error message?

Did anyone manage to build a city in UE5.1?

The tutorial seems to be written for UE5.0, and I didn’t manage to get it to work with UE5.1.

I was getting an exception about null pointer in UE5.1 when importing Geometry data. I’ve added an additional condition for null pointer in the code of UE5.1 and was able to get PCBs and geometry imported into UE, but got stuck at running the rules - hitting Run Rules button was bringing a confirmation dialog and then nothing was happening.

1 Like

it works for me, but some of building has no roof

Getting exactly the same issue now. Buildings without or only partially covered with roof and with water instead of the floor.

It seems data exproted from houdini is not match. Houdini project maybe have some issue.

by the way, i run the project, there is not cars and people. what should i do next?

there are cars in the scene, however, after runs in editor, they all gone :frowning:

1 Like

Does it mean that you were able to somehow fix the issue with missing roofs? Anything specific you have done to get it fixed?

By the way, what UE and Houdini versions are you using?

no, i give up the missing roof. I trying to proceed the next step of the tutorial. However i cannot generate Zone Graph for Traffic.

1 Like

This is what I am getting, using Houdini 18.5.532 and UE5.0.3.

in my houdini project, i add a freeway but did not add any connection, and my freeway look correct. not sure wether your freeway have some issue when export, or the connection has some incorrect in houdini project

same version, but my houdini using python 2

I believe the freeway had some issues, because once I planned it more thoroughly it was generated. However, no luck with fixing this issue with some buildings being incomplete.

Tried various Houdini versions (the recommended, the latest, py2, py3 - the result is the same.

UE5.1 does not seem to work at all - crashes when importing geometries. And even once this issue is fixed (had to slightly modify UE’s source code), the rules just do not get executed in the Rule Processor