City builder --- City Next --- More than 1 million residents ---

Hello and welcome

Highrise City (City Next)
city builder

In City Next the player is the architect of a modern city of the present and manages the planning of infrastructure, resources, construction of buildings, and the needs of its residents.

City Next combines two popular core principles of building games:

• Industrial management, resources and production chains
  • Urban construction, city architecture and management

I am a fan of the famous game series “Anno” and “Cities Skylines” myself, and so I spent some time in their virtual worlds.
Therefore, the idea was born to combine the basic concepts in an own project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSxjG3ktSuo

Core Feature

• Up to several millions of inhabitants possible
  • Grid-free building and road construction
  • Complex resources and production chains
  • Several thousands of vehicles and residents in motion
  • Manage finances and needs of the residents
  • Voxel terraforming, for various design possibilities
  • Buff buildings, which cover the surrounding area with bonuses (stackable according to research)
  • Explore your own city by car

Feature list

Residents

- Up to several million inhabitants possible
- Residents demand resources and services
- 5 population strata
- higher strata of the population demand high-quality goods and services
- min. 20000 person models with animation can be displayed simultaneously in one scene

Resources

- 50 different resources
- Production of raw materials
- Carrier transport goods to the companies
- Establishment of production chains

Buildings

- min. 30000 buildings possible
- Freely placeable buildings
- Animation when placing new buildings
- Buildings have animations and particle effects after placement (e.g. smoke from chimneys)
- Buildings are constructed with an individual scaffold in each case
- Farms for vegetables, fruit, wheat... can have individual shapes
- 2 different construction modes for farms
- Warehouses for raw materials, intermediate products and consumer goods
- Detailed building status, 3D view
- Demolish several buildings, farms simultaneously
- Buildings fall apart when they are torn down
- Buff buildings, which cover the surrounding area with bonuses (stackable according to research)
- Wind Turbines Respond to Wind Changes (e.g. turning into the wind)

Vehicles

- Residents drive their car to work (later local transport system)
- min. 5000 vehicles can be calculated.
- Vehicles search the fastest way to the destination (modified A* algorithm)
- Lane changing on multi-lane roads (e.g. overtaking slower vehicles)

Zones

- Define living and office zones. Buildings are placed on zones by the AI. Environmental conditions can influence which buildings can be placed on the zones.
- Designate zones (Animation)
- 5 zone steps
- larger buildings or skyscrapers are built on higher quality zones
- 2 different building modes for zones (draw, pipette)
- Waste stored in waste zones (Animation waste mountains)

Infrastructure

- Freely placeable streets and buildings (no grid)
- 4 different construction modes for roads (straight, bent, free, draw)
- Building roads with different numbers of lanes
- Bridges (more expensive than roads)
- Tunnel (more expensive than roads)
- One-way streets
- Road crossings can take any shape
- Traffic islands are created at road crossings
- Upgrade and downgrade of streets
- Demolish several streets at once
- Traffic Management
- Purchase of transport vehicles,
- Transport vehicles supply companies with goods and collect produced goods
- Define transport vehicles with your own paint scheme
- Water supply (building water pipes), water towers and pumps

Environment

- Urban area has an extension of 14 x 14 km = 196 km^2
- Map has several resource occurrences
- The urban development area can be expanded by purchasing additional areas
- Environmental conditions improve or worsen the attractiveness of the city
- Trade with neighbouring cities
- +10000 Land animals and birds
- Aircraft and ship
- Terraforming (voxel, versatile tools e.g. tunnel digging)

Progress

- Region map (selection of a new city)
- Achievement of milestones and thus also access to newer buildings and technologies
- Research (new buildings, improvements, etc.)
- Passing laws (causing costs)
- Missions within a game

Finances

- The majority of all production/service buildings generate running costs
- Money can be earned through consumption, rental income, trade, etc
- A clearly arranged finance menu shows the expenditures and revenues in the respective categories
- Money is needed, for example, for the construction of buildings and infrastructure, legislation and trade

Effects

- Animated menus
- Day/night change
- Wind and weather effects
- When wind turns or changes its strength, grass reacts

Interface

- Many statistics give an overview of the city
- Filter menu shows, among other things, raw material deposits in the city area and services of e.g. fire brigade, hospitals, schools
- 3 camera modes (standard, free and photo)
- Tooltips (texts, videos)
- Tips appear during various actions
- Event notifications
- With the button Pipette a building can be clicked and copied
- Particle system for menus (e.g. fireworks when reaching a milestone)
- Highlighting and description of objects when the mouse hovers over them
- Resources show small green or red arrows if the amount of resources is increasing or decreasing lately
- City, mayor, persons, streets, companies have individual names
- Renaming of names (city, mayor, persons, streets, companies)
- Tutorial (with text, symbols, voice output, videos and highlighting of controls)
- City Next easily translatable into other languages (.xml file plain text readable)
- Own language files can be added
- Extended option for individual game adjustments
- in addition to the option's menu, the performance can be fine-tuned in the config file (all plain text readable)
- Font, font size, color can be changed in the continuous text (can be defined in the XML language files)
- Integrate images in continuous text (definable in XML language files)
- advanced tips displayed during save game loading

Miscellaneous

- Adjustable difficulty level with 8 different parameters from beginner to pro for individual gaming experience
- 6 different game objectives (after reaching the game objectives, the game can be continued)
- Taking out a loan when money is tight
- Save and load city
- Explore your own city by car
- Evacuate entire quarters
- Drawing soil textures
- Individual objects can be placed for the design of the city
- Photo mode
- Vegetation
- Underwater view
- Building Editor
- Vehicle Editor
- Road Editor
- Simply Modbar
- Technical details

http://www.city-next.com

Mechanics

On an initially undeveloped landscape, the necessary infrastructure such as roads, electricity and water supply can be built.
By constructing industrial buildings for the extraction of raw materials, new or refined materials or goods can be produced.
Materials are in turn needed for the construction of further buildings.

Industrial buildings need resources but also offices to function. Offices are built independently on office zones (supply and demand).
Buff buildings can improve other buildings in the radius of influence (e.g. technologist center increases the productivity of the buildings (Stackable with a special research)).

The dynamic procedurally generated road and intersection system

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aabwbYtzogM

Residents

By allocating residential zones, residents construct residential buildings independently (supply and demand).
Depending on the nature of the zone, small houses, larger buildings or even skyscrapers can be built.
The player follows personal preferences in design and growth of his city.

In order to keep the inhabitants happy, they are supplied with consumer goods such as fish, furniture, clothing or luxury goods.
In addition, the residents need services like hospitals, leisure activities, fire protection, religious buildings, … .

The consumption of consumer goods generates income for the city, which in turn is used to finance new infrastructure projects.

Progress

By reaching milestones, further buildings, production chains and technologies are released. Residents can rise in rank by improving the living zones. The residential buildings become larger. A conurbation is created. Residents of higher rank spend more money on goods, but also have extravagant wishes for goods (e.g. medical equipment, electric cars).

The player has more privileges as mayor of a city (excerpt of the possibilities):

• Trade with neighboring cities
  • Research and legislation
  • Manage the city’s finances (set taxes, take out loans)
  • Buying additional urban areas

Modding

City Next can be modified by any player.
For example, properties of buildings and production chains can be changed and new ones can be added.
Milestones, people, laws, symbols, resources, etc. can be changed. There is an:

• in-game building editor
  • street editor
  • vehicle
  • editor

In City Next you can build big cities

Webseite:
http://www.city-next.com

Youtube Playliste shows many more game features.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srfF…dMFicYtMslrtNk

Why do I publish all this? Feedback, ideas and requests for improvement inspire new ideas and motivate me to work on the project! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This must had taken forever :o amazing work!
Where are all the comments?! I cant be the only person hyped about it! :smiley:

Hello AngeIV, EntrpriseCustomr,
thanks for the feedback.
City Next is a video game and will later be available on distribution platforms. The collision of vehicles and pedestrians will be improved.

Farms

I would like to introduce you to a feature that is close to my heart: Farms

In City Next, large cities can be built. If all buildings are skyscrapers, the cityscape looks rather unusual. Farms are quite good for representing country regions.

When building farms, the player should enjoy a lot of freedom. There is always a road or dirt road around the farm.
With the flexible road building tools the contour of the farm can be defined freely. City Next automatically detects where farms can be placed in a sensible way.

The video shows how flexible the construction of farms is:

Farms produce basic raw materials such as fruit, vegetables, wool, wheat (for beer:D and bread), …
The bigger the farm, the more goods are produced per day.

The farm soil changes its texture to a field and thousands to tens of thousands of plants are placed:love: (HISM makes it possible).

Farms take up quite a lot of space compared to other buildings. If a small town has grown into a larger town and the town treasury is filled, the player could import some of the basic raw materials and thus have more space available for town expansion. Attention: Importing goods costs more than in self-production.

These options allow you to increase the farm yield and thus allow the supply of larger cities:

• Research that increases farm productivity
  • Buff buildings that improve other nearby buildings

The player therefore strategically weighs up whether, for example, he would rather improve his own production, import goods, conduct research, improve surrounding buildings or build new homes for the growing population.:slight_smile:

I almost never do early access… but you already got my money! :smiley: Next level procedural spawners. and on semi-grid with spline support… just wow : )

I’d like to introduce you to a basic feature. Maybe one of the most important features of a city builder.

Building

There are two basic types of buildings:

Zone buildings

This type of building works like the classic “Sim City”.
The player places residential and office zones. Depending on the needs and environmental conditions and the general location of the city, new buildings are created automatically.

Green = residential zones, blue = office zones

Zones cost money and resources such as wood, stone, iron, steel, glass and tools:D
It is possible to improve zones to create larger buildings. Due to the higher population density the player has to worry more and more about traffic management.

Buildings and their inhabitants have needs. In the beginning inhabitants need food. Once the zones are improved, the inhabitants demand more and more luxury goods such as books, wine, jewelry and medical equipment. If the residents are dissatisfied, they leave the city.

If these needs are met, the residents pay more money into the city treasury.
To meet the needs I come to the second group of buildings:):

Industrial Buildings / Service Buildings

This category of buildings is not bound to any zones and can be placed freely, therefore without grid. Almost all buildings need workers to function and have ongoing maintenance costs.

**Service buildings **
offer services within a radius of the building (for example, recreation, education and health care, reduction of crime and fire hazard, … ).
This category also includes “buff buildings” that reinforce surrounding buildings.

**Industrial buildings **
produce resources and goods. Resources can be further processed in production chains.
At the beginning of a game the production chains are quite simple and become more extensive later on.

Example of furniture and wine production:

Industrial buildings have their own local warehouse for resources. A truck transports wood to the furniture factory. The local wood storage of the furniture factory is filled. The finished furniture also has a local warehouse. A truck collects the furniture and delivers it to the carrier. Only then the goods are available for the inhabitants and the mayor.

The following video shows the extensive information of a selected iron smelter:

Some buildings, such as the iron smelter, are available in several sizes.
The larger iron smelter can process much more iron ore into iron.
This is also necessary later in the game. Larger, higher quality buildings require many more building materials.

Some industrial buildings do not work everywhere. For example, a clay pit only works where clay can be mined.
Clay is used to make bricks.

Clay can be mined within brown areas.

I like the combination of zone buildings and specially planned industrial chains:D.
It’s exciting to have a city builder where money is not the only resource.

2 Likes

Jesus… I am looking for days for a viable road-tool creator for a little chat-game project (no worries, no city simulation) and since the project has to deal with a lot of realistic roads based on real-world data with pretty different junctions and road thicknesses, I am running in circles because every single video tutorial, Houdini, addon, blueprint, forum thread, answer-hub and yes even OSM doesn’t provide the tools for me as a 3d Artist that I would need for it. What I have seen on Cities Skylines road / junction creation is exactly what I need In-Editor in UE4 (not runtime).

And “now” this thread appears on my monitor.

Why this is a game? You are showing off the holy marketplace grail for road creation!! And no, not a single marketplace tool can achieve what you just showed in the first 15 seconds of your video presentation. The solution for all of my road problems is in front of my eyes in Unreal Engine…and its a game.

Life does not love me and some higher instance is punishing me for sure.
It looks like a nice game and I wish you the best of luck with it!

I bookmarked your game website and this thread and looking forward to it - you will have my support.

Best, Kaji

If I would be Epic Games, I would directly give you a Megagrant just for creating a fork of this game as Editor-Tool. A fork that would be a basic urban planning tool for Architects and other Game-Developers who would use it for FPS, Action Games, and even Virtual Chat applications. It does not even have to include any detailed buildings or any game-play elements that your game has.

Epic’s main intention for Unreal Engine is to make it as easy as possible to use, giving us tools for Hair, Sun, Sky, and soon even Water systems. What I can see on your game project is the missing link for urban planning that could even be used in a Fantasy-based RPG environment.

Think of it like doing Crysis…and the CryEngine that were initially made just for the Crysis game is now powering a lot of modern games. The same goes for Unreal Engine and I can clearly see more in your game than just a well done and very promising looking City-building game.

This is my honest opinion I can give as a game developer who loves Unreal Engine since 1998.

How do you make these free form farms ?
Are you creating procedural mesh at runtime ??
Do they have spline boundaries ?

Hello Kaji, asdzxcv,

I am fascinated by cities. It is a small ecosystem of its own with many characteristics.

Road
Roads are so important in cities to connect the individual elements. That’s why an extensive road system was designed.
I did without a global grid in order not to limit the creativity of the players.

Tools for building the roads were created.

To improve the accessibility of the game there are tooltips for each button and label. The tooltips describe the button or label in more detail. In the road building menu, the tooltip shows videos of what the button does.

The player has the following road building options:

• (Straight) Build Straight Road
  • (Bent) Building a curve with help points
  • (Free) Build a curve without auxiliary points
  • (Draw) Use the mouse to draw a road on the landscape
  • (Improve) Improves an existing road (e.g. 2 lane road to a 4 lane road)
  • (Angle) Snap to other roads
  • (Height) indicate or lower road for bridges and tunnels
  • (Height of bridge constant) The current road height is kept constant regardless of the ground
  • (Grid snap) Street is aligned with the surrounding grid
    The streets and intersections are generated procedurally at runtime. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…esh/index.html

The streets are not SplineMesh. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…esh/index.html

How many vertexes are used depends on the surface. For flat surfaces fewer vertices are used. After placing the street, the underground is adapted to the street.

Farm
The size and shape of the farm is determined by the surrounding road.
The bigger the farm is, the more can be produced.

Within the farm area a place for the farm building is searched for. If no place for the farm building can be found, the farm cannot be placed. The reason why the building is not possible appears on the mouse pointer.

If the construction is possible, the plants will be spawned and a fence will be built around the farm.
The border of the farm is a concave polygon. Concave polygon - Wikipedia

Then the texture (landscape) is drawn within the polygon. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…t2D/index.html

Kaji, in hopes of helping you, contact me with a PN.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone.
I have a new system to bring more dynamic into the cities in the future.

Area effects

In every inch of the landscape, parameters such as crime, land value, pollution, … can be queried. The different parameters are visualized by a TextureRenderTarget2D.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…t2D/index.html

The various service buildings for the residents use this new system. Service buildings create different effects in the environment. Each effect has a radius. The effect gradually decreases towards the edge. Effects can add up.

The following picture shows the fire protection of the fire brigades. The spot of color in the middle symbolizes yellow=lower, blue=high fire protection.

People and buildings query the status of the area at any given coordinate and react accordingly.

The updating of the texture can be followed live. If you want to build a new building, it is first placed on the mouse pointer to determine the building location. Before building a service building, you can see on the map what effects the building will have when fully occupied. This means, however, that even if a fire brigade is only 50% occupied, the effectiveness will suffer.

This makes it possible to increase the fire risk locally through events (e.g. because young people play with fire). With a certain probability, a house can burn there and the fire brigade has to come. Hopefully there is no traffic jam on the way ;).

The system works fine. Queries are super fast and multi threaded. The updating of the TextureRenderTarget2D is asynchronous. The disadvantage is, that about 150 MB more RAM are needed.

Statistics

To learn more about his city, graphs can be displayed for a variety of values^^.

The graphs are updated live. This allows, for example, trends in raw materials to be viewed and, if necessary, another fishing hut to be built (Fish is the green line in the Graph window and sinks slightly. ;))
The graph is drawn with the free plugin “Kantan Charts”.
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp…/kantan-charts

“Kantan Charts” is modified to receive asynchronous data.

Measured values are saved every n seconds. So that the save games do not become endlessly large, only the most important points are saved. To recognize the most important points I use the “Swinging Door Algorithm”.

This algorithm is almost perfect for recording measured values. Easy to implement, high-performance, streaming-capable, but also lossy.
The important points are then additionally compressed in the save game.

2 Likes

For the curves of the streets you do not use splines? everything is with procedural mesh?

Do you create the curves by calculating with floats?

Hello GoodSr,

City Next often uses splines to describe a path. They are very practical and easy to use.
But the streets are not spline meshes but procedural mesh. Spline meshes are less suitable for many many objects.

Buildings and other objects are Hierarchical Instanced Static Meshes (HISM).
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/API/Runtime/Engine/Components/UHierarchicalInstancedStaticMesh-/index.html

More than a million residents? Is that more than a million simulated residents or does the number next to population just say “1 Million”?

I saw your video “City Next - Game - 20000 people” and it was super impressive. Any insight into how you are having so many characters on screen at one time all seemingly doing their own thing?

2 Likes

This looks amazing. May I ask how many people and time did it take to bring the game to this stage?

1 Like

This is beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone!

It’s been a while now since I spoke about the status of the project. There is a reason for that, the work went on tirelessly and a lot of progress was made. First of all, the game has been given a new name:

Apart from that, progress has been made in pretty much all aspects: from the visual aspect, a lot has changed, but also many placeholders on buildings and vehicles have already been reworked and exchanged. :slight_smile: The entire GUI is new, although not yet 100% final. Dynamic sound effects and background music have been integrated. And slowly but surely everything is coming together. The game elements have been refined, balanced and the usability improved.

I’m also no longer working on the game alone, three artists are supporting me. Furthermore, I have teamed up with Deck13 (https://www.deck13.com/) as publisher and we are confident that Highrise City will soon see the light of day.

There is a new modern website: http://highrisecitygame.com/

A few more screenshots have been uploaded on Steam and GoG.

Steam: Highrise City on Steam
GoG: Highrise City on GOG.com

Last but not least, there is a fresh trailer:

I’m having a lot of fun working on this project. Although, I don’t see it as work. It’s like playing football, a hobby where you create something great at the end.

Thank you Epic for the Megagrant.

3 Likes

You have done a great job. The result is amazing!

1 Like

Hello,

I’m glad to see that the Highrise City is progressing well.:heart:

There will soon be an opportunity to play Highrise City. As part of this year’s gamescom (25 Aug - 29 Aug ), a demo will be made available via Steam to give you a taste. The demo will contain about half an hour of content and will introduce you to the beginnings of a city. And maybe, just maybe, it will also include a little preview of what your city could look like one day. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello dear UE Community :

in the last months we have worked a lot on Highrise City. The graphics are getting better and better and also the gameplay has been improved a lot.

At Gamescom everyone can try the game.

Tomorrow (25.07.21) Writing Bull, Michael from Deck13 and me will do a livestream (in german) for HRC from about 8pm UTC.

The demo and current state of development will be shown and we will answer questions from the community.

I’m happy to collaborate with a Let’s Player. <3

Gamescom (25 Aug - 29 Aug ) is getting closer and closer and during that time and a few days beyond, the demo of Highrise City can be played for free.

I finished the last preparations yesterday. The project is “cooked” and uploaded. :smiley:

Lastly, I worked on a new system for drawing textures on the voxel landscape.
This also allows soft transitions between the ground textures. The performance is very very good despite translucency. Normally, translucency materials cost a lot of GPU computing power. These costs add up when several translucent materials are placed on top of each other, so that the fps is greatly reduced.

This building is the small church (available in demo). At release, +20000 buildings can have this level of detail.

1 Like