Circus - A ruined subway station

Hi all,
I am working on a small scene inspired by a concept I found on Artstation. I plan to build this in Unreal Engine 5, even though it is currently in beta. This is the first time I am doing something in UE5, so might need lot of support from the community to get this done. There will be lot of vegetation in the scene, mostly small plants, veins and one tree that is on the wall. The tree on wall is not there in the original concept, but I envisioned it could give the scene more organic look.
Please make sure to give feedback as I go along. It would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
I am attaching the original concept by Aeryn Gray
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/18xqkq

8 Likes

Hey @sgv3dmax, and thank you for sharing the progress of your small scene project here on the Unreal Engine Forums! I’m looking forward to seeing how your scene pans out and giving any constructive feedback I can. :grin:

1 Like

Update:
Adding some vines on areas where there is sunlight

Plus some ferns

5 Likes

An excellent addition of foliage! I can tell I’m going to enjoy the transition in your work more and more with each update! Slowly but surely, your ruined subway station-inspired scene is coming together nicely. :grin:

2 Likes

Playing around with vetex painting moss on walls and the curved roof made of wooden planks. I will be tweaking the shader and painting more down the line

I am not planning to touch any post-process effects like bloom or color grading now, will keep it for last
And some updates on the platform texture. The yellow line is in a trim sheet which will be shared by many objects in the scene

This is how the trim sheet looks now in Designer with the large blue area just temporarily there as a filler. I plan to add more variety in materials on it in the coming days

3 Likes

Proper worn wood planks textures on the roof, hanging light props (No texture yet), some tweaks on overall size of arched wall modular pieces, some graffiti etc

2 Likes

A short video on current status of project

2 Likes

Great video, and a particularly great job with the hanging railway lanterns/lights! I know they’re not finished, but I couldn’t help but notice that their addition to the overall creation really stands out! The more I look at your design and the original image, the more I’m invested in seeing the finished product!

1 Like

Thank you so much Zezkaii, the lanterns are just bare basic geometry made with lathe modifier in 3ds max and some minor mesh editing. Yeah they really enhance the look of the scene. I plan to get some of them fallen on the broken platform, when i model them in the future. :slight_smile:

Playing around with the terrain material a bit. Currently I only have 2 textures blending, a moss and gravel. Will be adding some more textures like mud, some debris etc. Also tested one fallen lamp on the ground. I will need to add terrain texture blending on it where it contacts the ground.

It will get progressively drier under the shaded area

2 Likes

Painted some moisture into low areas on terrain + moss on the rails. I might not be using water on terrain, but just paint moisture on it.

2 Likes

I agree! This is remarkable! Watching your incremental progress with your project is reminiscent of that scene in Titanic where they show the ruined ship time lapse forward into the pristine ship when it was brand new - except we’re seeing it in reverse. You start with a clean subway and we are privileged to watch it progress into a beautiful ruin.

Will this remain an art project or will you be incorporating this into a game?

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the inspiring words :pray: :heartpulse:
Currently I am working towards making this into an art project with some gameplay element like player will be able to walk around the small level. I will make some interesting places in there to explore.
Time is the major factor and I am doing this based on some self-assigned deadlines, or this will never get done LOL
But yeah, I will keep posting updates. Some elements like small foliage to cover ground and the mossy walls where it’s well lit are in progress and will share screens soon.
Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Awesome sauce @sgv3dmax !

As a game dev hobbyist, seriously, making self-assigned deadlines are sooo crucial! I totally tip my cap toward you, because without such self-determination and self-discipline, you’re absolutely correct - things will not get done. I still have meshes I created in Blender for a project I haven’t touched since 2017! LOL!

With your talent and dedication, you motivate us to not make excuses and get it done! We are so looking forward to your next updates. Thank you again for sharing such impressive work!

3 Likes

A quick update on the broken platform. This is first pass, need to model some fine cracks in next update

You can see it from the main cam. I will be filling up that space with ferns and other veg. Also brightened up the whole scene in post process volume, was a little dark before.

1 Like

Happy New Year! @sgv3dmax I am surprised to see you are making this project a playable game with interesting places to explore; I think this is a fantastic idea. Keep up the great work; the additional lighting is a nice touch, I didn’t notice before, but you are absolutely right when you said it was a little dark. Now I can genuinely appreciate the foilage and hanging lanterns on the left side of the scene! :grin:

1 Like

Happy New Year to all my UE friends :smile:
Worked on some signs on arches. The sign material has vertex painting enabled, which means i can paint moss/rust etc on them. Did a pass this morning with moss. What do you think?

Also worked on the hanging lamp textures a bit. There is an emissive texture in there as well, to get that little light scatter at the lower part of glass

Some more updates. This time on ferns and ground texture blend on lamp.

3 Likes

Great work, as usual! @sgv3dmax The signs came out wonderful even though I didn’t notice the signs in the original picture you’re drawing inspiration from, haha. I’m glad your attention to detail is way more persistent than mine. :laughing:

1 Like

An update on train work-in-progress. Currently modeling and texturing the train and finding ways to use modular pieces, rather than using unique UVs for the entire train. The front and back of engine is one geo and the section between them is comprised of modular pieces, which I will be using for making the passenger car as well. Windows will be again modular pieces. Here is an update on the engine.

Using vertex paint really brings out the mossy parts, and i am using a tiling rust texture on the undercarriage for now, mostly will use just tileable texture for it

Those are the modular pieces used to make engine

2 Likes

Hope you’re doing well.
As always, I’m amazed by the progress you’re making. I’ve been following your project for a while now and I can’t wait for more. :slight_smile: The plantlife and mossy walls look spectacular btw!

Sending lots of support,
Panda

1 Like