Circus - A ruined subway station

Hi guys, sorry for the long gap after the last update. I’ve been pretty down last weekend after Covid booster shot, but now things are back to normal. Here is an update on the train texturing. I am currently working on the engine front unique part. Will post more updates soon. Everything on the engine front is in the texture, except that small patch of rust below windows. I plan to use a lot of deferred decals to cover up the modular section with rust and stains. I am using two 2k textures for the entire train. There are some space left in UVs, which I will be adding small details like wiper, vents, etc

Modular pieces used. I assembled them in max, since i need to use vertex painting for moss, so need it as a static. Cannot use a prefab, tried it, did not work

Rust is done is Substance Painter. It is not procedural, but hand painted using stencils, which I made from decals available at textures.com. I will record a video tutorial on the process once I get a decent texture for train. Here is the stencil I created:

Also last but not the least, a heavily nature-infested train car

3 Likes

Sorry to hear you weren’t feeling well @sgv3dmax; I’m also glad to hear you’re doing better now! I am continually impressed with each further update you share. Keep up the terrific work! :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

After some time again, another update. This time, I figured out that there was a discrepancy between character scale and the brick texel density throughout the scene. It was also affecting the scale of everything on the walls like ivy. Now after several tweaks, I made these adjustments to make it look more realistic and closer to the concept. Updates are mainly on the ivy kit.

Once the ivy is ready I can hop back on the structures, which hopefully i can start next

5 Likes

Hi @sgv3dmax !

So happy to see your newest update! It’s creators like you that really see the slightest things off kilter. :mag: :blush: I would never have guessed, based on your previous updates, that there was even the slightest issue with the scale in certain aspects of your project! I’m happy you caught it early on and not later in your project, where changing one thing could potentially affect a “ginormous” amount of other things! What adjustments did you have to make to achieve maximum realism?

This looks amazing! Keep up this wonderful work please!

2 Likes

Not forgotten, still working on it. My last update on this was in UE4 and that was a horrible mistake. I was spending more time doing lightmap baking than art :frowning: . Sorry about that. Soon realized lightmap baking is not something I should do on this kind of scene. so getting back to UE5.
I was attending a course in Shading and Material Creation for Unreal Engine (CGMA) these past 6 weeks and got carried away by the amazing new knowledge LOL. Cleaned up all materials in my scene, introduced new ones like water shader with controls for floating plants, depth etc, better vegetation shader etc. In this update, it was mostly cleanup, some modeling on roof modular pieces, tunnel, ivy etc. Enjoy!!

The Ivy roots texture was created in Speedtree, as I thought it was the easiest way to get those complex shapes that look more or less like dead trees :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh. My. LODs!

[ :innocent: Queue heavenly choir music :notes: “Ahhhhh!”] Welcome back! We’re so excited to see a new post!

The updates are absolutely astounding! The touch with the ivy is sooo aesthetically pleasing! The scene looks much sharper and the lighting looks even more natural! The water is the perfect flourish! Are you a student, or did you take an individual course?

2 Likes

Hi Get_DOVAH_it, Thank you so much!!
In a sense it never stops being a student and learning is a lifelong thing :slight_smile: . I work at Ubisoft Toronto as Texture Artist. Took the course @CGMA to polish my skills :slight_smile:
Thank you again :+1:

2 Likes

Worked on terrain textures a little bit. I am trying to get a blend between areas where terrain is exposed to elements and one that is under the roof. Currently I have 4 layers - Mossy, rubble, mud with leaves and just mud.
And also found a tutorial on applying dust on uniquely unwrapped objects based on PixelNormalWS, which shows dust always on top of object (z axis), whichever way it is rotated. See the last screenshot

2 Likes

You’re certainly correct in that learning is a lifelong thing. How long have you been a texture artist, and what inspired you to become one?

You’re very welcome, btw. Your project gets more and more serenely beautiful with every update. You’re encapsulating what it is to find beauty in ruin. The third screenshot speaks to me. It’s calling for adventure! What wonders does this subway station hold? What lies ahead in the darkness? Why is this station now defunct? Of course these aren’t answerable questions (unless you want them to be :wink:) - just questions that come to mind whilst admiring your work!

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the kind words. This is my 10th year anniversary @Ubisoft Toronto. I love doing texturing because, I enjoy the way we are able to recreate nature through a set of tools just like an artist painting on the canvas. I spend a lot of time playing games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Horizon, etc. just standing at a location and admiring the digital world around me, gameplay is a distraction for me LOL.
I am trying to find a story with each update of the scene. There was no predefined plan, but just the concept I found on Artstation. While doing it, the scene gives me some opportunity to find a story. Only thing what I wanted to do from the very beginning is to create something where the player can walk around and look at each and every part of scene closely and enjoy it.
Thanks again.

3 Likes

Started working on some more vegetation for filling up the well lit spaces. First one is a Swiss Cheese plant. Currently I only have one version in the level, but plan to add 2 or 3 different styles to get more variation. Also in works is Funkia plant for ground coverage

Swiss Cheese plant in Speedtree. Will be adding the climber roots soon

2 Likes

Test with a little bit of extra bloom and color grading. I adjusted saturation and contrast slightly. Was testing how it will look after a little adjustment. I know the platforms look clean, will be working on them soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Building ruins - 1st pass. They are the same building rotated about.

2 Likes

Hi sgv!

I love the addition of the new plant specie! It reminds me of how nature comes to reclaim spaces that are abandoned by men. Your ruined subway station also brings to mind something that I’ve come across in my travels - an old 1853 viaduct that survived the passage of time.

little_cg1853bridge04567

Looking forward to what you add to the platforms! Have a great weekend, my friend!

After some seemingly long break, I am back on this one. Was busy with something, could not focus on this for last couple of weeks (sorry more than a month). This time I worked on the ceiling details. Still have to work on modular pieces close to the inner wall. Will do it for next update, but here are some screen shots. I also found some interesting camera angles. Might tweak them in future. Enjoy!!

5 Likes

Hey there @sgv3dmax,

Hope you’re having a great week so far!

Watching this develop has been truly amazing to experience and the ceiling is coming along fantastically. Do you plan on adding a city around it as well?

1 Like

Hi thank you!! To be honest I did not think about adding a city around it, but when you mentioned it, i am getting some ideas ha ha. Let me think about it, but probly yes

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see it then. Getting updates for your project is always a highlight of my week :slight_smile:

1 Like

You hit the nail right on the head! @PresumptivePanda

Likewise, I eagerly await to see updates regarding your creation, and I hope to witness your work to its completion. Adding a city-based environment seems like a wonderful idea; I can’t wait to see what you come up with! :grin: