Cinematic Assembly Tool Naming Tokens Not Accessible in Movie Render Graph

Movie Render Graph now has support for the Naming Tokens System, and the Cinematic Assembly Tools (CAT) use the Naming Token System for its metadata. I was hoping to use this metadata on a given level sequence to set the Output Path in a Movie Render Graph setup, but the “cat” namespace tokens do not appear and do not evaluate.

Based on our conversation, it seems MRG does not pass a context objects when it evaluates, so the cat namespace is not found. I found it didn’t appear in the dropdown when typing a token unless the Cine Assembly asset had its properties actively being edited in another window.

The workaround I’ve found is to create an Editor Utility Naming Token, get the current level sequence, cast to a Cine Assembly asset, extract the token from that and pass the value through as a new token. Convoluted as we’re basically replicating tokens that should already exist.

It would be great if MRG was able to pass the current assembly as a context object so we could read cat tokens.

Steps to Reproduce

  1. Create a Cine Assembly using the Cinematic Assembly Tools, ensuring you’re using tokens as metadata on said assembly.
  2. Add a camera & camera cut track to your shot and add basic animation.
  3. Create a Movie Render Graph, and try using the “cat” namespace tokens used as metadata on your shot as input for a file path or name. You’ll note that the cat tokens don’t exist in the one place you can dynamically see them.
  4. Render your shot using the Movie Render Graph - you’ll note that the tokens do not evaluate, and will pass nothing in.

Thanks Adam. There was a JIRA created and I requested it be public. When I get a link I’ll post it here so you can follow along with the development.