Cheap post process fog effect that doesn't block the view of the Skybox

Hey all,

We designed our game to work with/use the height fog effect to cut the players vision. We’ve started trying to optimize performance, and cutting shadows is a pretty big performance gain. However, setting shadows to medium or lower disables the volumetric fog. We’ve replaced that fog with a cheap post process material, which works great, except that it obviously blocks your vision of the skybox.

Is there a way to either exclude the skybox from the cheap fog post process material, or better, can we make the post process material fade out after a certain height so that the skybox would fade back into view?

I’ve attached a few pictures for examples.

Thanks for any help!

I think the material is setup incorrectly, how about?

Hey Clockwork,

Thanks for the help! I copied your settings, but unfortunately I’m getting an error. You can see in the attached image, its a float error. I searched around but couldn’t find an example that matches this specific float error. I did find someone using a mask after the scene texture:postprocess but that didn’t work for me.

Thanks again!

To get that node, try holding 3 and clicking on the graph, I think you might have the wrong node?

If I use a 3 vector node, I don’t have the ability to connect the alpha to the append B node. If I attach the 3 vector to the lerp directly, the post process material is basically the same as my previous material, at 1 opacity the sky is still not visible. I understand this is a weird issue, but I do appreciate the help!

Which engine are you using?

I think this is correct. Yes, at 1, the sky will not be visible, unless you mess with the distance parameter.