Character not animating for custom NPC with `PlayAndAwait` and `Play`

Important

This is Partially resolved, read the comments please!

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Verse

Summary

Animation not happening for custom NPC with PlayAndAwait and Play

Steps to Reproduce

Create a full custom NPC.

Try to play an animation, associated with this character AnimationResult := AnimController.PlayAndAwait(Bots.Spider.Assets.walk2_animation)

Expected Result

The character should animate.

Observed Result

Everything seems to work, except the character doesn’t animate. Even verse returns correct events etc.
Except when player is Navigating, has navigated, then the function never completes.

Platform(s)

Windows 64x, UEFN session

Hey, from my tests you’ll need an “Animation Preset” asset for it to work
But it’s not in the docs
Here:
Right Click > Create Basic Asset > Blueprint Class :

There you’ll need at least an Idle animation for it to work

Put the asset in “Anim Preset” in your NPC Behavior
This will allow you to use any animation through Verse
But it’s kinda weird, the NPC will always try to go back to the idle animation on the anim preset, which can lead to unwanted behaviors
Still waiting for more info on this

1 Like

One problem, that remains is, that it doesn’t respect the Loop property in animation. So for looping I have to wait for it to stop, and play again. This sadly sometimes results in very quick jumps back to Idle animation and looks like a glitch. I try to prevent this by overlapping the animation a bit, but that’s rather a sad workaround :slight_smile:

Update

Not sure, but it looks like it tries go back to idle (always), even if I run next animation to blend in.
The overlap strategy did not give me and good results.

1 Like

Yep, that’s exactly the problem I was talking about in the end of the post
So we had the same problem and ended up with the same workaround
Messing with the blending time options helps to get a good visual but is for sure a bug and I hope it gets fixed, the device is awesome anyways

1 Like

The status of UCB-1212 incident has been moved from ‘Needs Triage’ to ‘Closed’. Resolution Reason: ‘Fixed’

1 Like

As mentioned above, using the play_animation_controller requires an Animation Preset to be set on the character. This is done by creating a new blueprint that inherits from available presets, currently that is just the BasicLocomotion preset.

That was already covered in comments above :slight_smile:
You missed the Bold sentence in OP :slight_smile:

As of July 2024 this is not working for me. Animation is not playing even with an “Anim Preset Basic Locomotion” in the field “Anim Preset” for the section “NPC Character Modifiers” inside the NPC character definition.