Character hand is getting stuck to the physics cloth (Solved)

Refer to

Setting to 0 has never caused collisions with the phat asset not to work.

The epic team hasn’t touched anything cloth in years. And they never will. So I really doubt that now all of a sudden setting self collision to 0 makes the phat asset be ignored.

Your cull scale being set to 2 could also be part of the problem.

Also, you eliminated the phat, and you eliminated the weight paint.
Only self collision is left that could justify any vertex moving.
Unless somehow some bad cloth updates made it into the engine - about as likely as snowballs in hell.

Yeah your right, I was mistaken…but no setting collision to 0 isn’t the issue because importing an asset will always result in that being set to 0 as default. Here is the same model…I did a fresh import and these are the settings for the cloth by default upon import.

I’ll try modifying the animation and bringing it back in…making sure that at no time does the cuff intersect with the cloth and see if that fixes it…I keep thinking that has to be the issue, I may have missed a part in the animation last time I tried that.

Ok here, I forgot you can just modify them inside of Unreal so I did that to test out that theory. Now here is a picture of how close it comes to intersection. That is the closest it comes now, so I can rule out intersection as being the issue too.

Here is a picture of the animation playing in simulate mode.

We have ruled out the following.
Skin Weight Transfer (The Jacket has no lower body bone weights painted on the sleeve and no arm weights painted on the lower body)
Cloth Settings (I have tried every combination and one by one set them to an extreme low and high value to see what results I get)
Physics body collision (I have deleted them completely off of the arms and redid the arms several times and even borrowed them from Paragon Assets)

Those above I think we can safely rule out…I’m not sure about UV’s I didn’t make them but from what I could tell those parts of the jacket weren’t close enough to anything to result in bleeding of weight maps.

It really does look like a weight paint issue on there.

It’s acting like there’s a tie between the hand position and the bottom of the skirt.

Not sure how thats possible, if not via weight paint…

I am pretty certain it’s not…I’ll send pictures of the weights stand by

As you can see there doesn’t appear to be any weights paints from either the lower or upper parts onto the sleeve or from the sleeve onto the lower part…now I can’t say if those weights aren’t somehow getting screwed up while being imported into Unreal…It’s a remote possibility…

I tried using iClone Live Link for Unreal where it plays the Animation in iClone and mirrors it in Unreal and I did not in fact get those issues with the Physics…So it’s possible that exporting it from CC3 and importing it into Unreal may be some how messing it up…

maybe one of the import settings…I played around with them a bit but not extensively.

It’s more likey the export.

Import the fbx into blender and check.

Thing is. A weight of .01 will cause issues but will not be directly visible.

However posing the mesh in Blender would reveal such a vertex by causing the jacket to offset.
Go into pose mode, move the hands by rotating the clavicle all the way up.
If you see distortion happening that’s it.
If you don’t. Can’t possibly be the paint.

Assuming this doesn’t happen in iclone because it is somehow happening during export.
Not sure how possible that is.
It’s more like than the import adding stuff.

The standard import for meshes will ignore weights below .001
And triangulate for you.
That’s about all it does which can be considered “special” though… afaik.

Alright I’ll check that out tomorrow and get back too you, appreciate your patience and insight…I have a feeling though that I’m not the only one to ever have this issue. Most people would probably assume it’s just the physics system in Unreal.

It seems like a CC3 related issue with exports for Unreal since it doesn’t seem to have the same problem in iClone when using Live Link.

Is it possible that one of the import settings when bringing it into Unreal could be causing it?

If the export writes morphs and waits that are additional to whatever is manually created…

Which it should, stuff like morphs gets written or baked down so that you don’t have to manually weight paint for different characters… It could be causing this.

You’d have to verify it.
Could also do it in engine by not enabling cloth and checking what the animation pose does… but if you do it with the fbx direct it’s somewhat easier…

Yeah, I have tested it without cloth physics that was one of the first things I thought to try…the first thing I assumed was when I seen it was that the skin weight transferred poorly. So I turned off cloth physics to see and it doesn’t do it at all…only with physics.

Unless your just talking about removing the clothes in general. the only part of the body I brought I exported was the part of the belly that’s visible in the front and the neck/head and her wrists/hands I didn’t export her with the rest of the mesh…it’s not transparent…I did that for better performance.

As a note…Remember I remade the entire character and redid the skin weights and all this 5 times and it did the same exact thing every single time.

Really can’t be sure without testing the model.

Perhaps try a new project to see if the cloth behaves the same when you set it up again.

I use Character Creator 3 and iClone 7 for creation and export to UE4.26 and have had many similar issues to what you posted. And like you I’ve beat my head against the process repeatedly with mesh, material, physics, weight, etc., etc. all to no avail.

What I found is that some Reallusion generated assets behave like this and neither Reallusion nor the vendor that created them could figure out why. I tried everything posted and numerous other processes but life’s too short so I would finally find an asset that worked.

I found that the issue was more prevalent with loose clothing and was really bad with long hair so I just started using tighter clothes and shorter hair which I could live with. I spent many months on going back and forth with this issue but since I switched over to tighter clothes and shorter hair I don’t have any issues. And I tried a hell of of a lot of assets, both UE marketplace and RL.

Also, I found that the export/import settings could cause such issues to be even worse so post up your iClone/CC3 export settings and your CC3 mesh/material settings. Finally, did you mod the morphs on the character and/or coat?

1 Like

I just finished an all nighter working out some scaling bugs in my project I’m working on but I’ll post those later today…glad to see someone who’s had that exact same issue as I’m having using CC3 in UE4. I’ll try the tighter clothes and post my export settings when I try it later…thanks again for your time and effect and I’ll get back to you later today.

You’re welcome and be sure to post the UE4 import screen as well opening up all tabs. Also be sure to post the character source (which RL character) any morph mods and subdivision settings and where the jacket originated and if any editing was done in an outside prog like blender or maya.

So In order this is what I did, even though it automatically transfers the skin weights for me so that their ideal I went ahead and redid them anyway…even Conformed/Smooth (Level 1) the tight shorts and the Jacket…It’s pretty tight except where it’s getting caught at…that’s where the jacket kind of hangs and flairs out. I could redo the mesh to make it tighter but it would probably be hard to do without loosing the detail but it probably wouldn’t matter as long as there’s cloth physics controlling it.

I threw together a fresh character, made it from scratch. It is CC3 not CC3+ and yes I tried it with CC3+ as well and get the exact same results…I’ve tried quite literally everything I could think of…Not joking when I say I spent 2 entire days and even lost sleep trying to think of a solution to this and what may be causing it. I started a fresh project, I made it in UE4.27 this time rather then 4.26 so it can’t be 4.26

To add to this I thought I would throw this out there, I went into iClone and went so far as to remake the animations with her arms out so that they wouldn’t rub against the dress and or clip it…this resulted in it being a little better but still obviously tugging on the cloth as her hands are moving and it was moving with the cuffs.

I want to stress as well before closing this up and perhaps looking at the skin weights in Blender, that it does NOT…lol…in fact do this outside of physics…without physics and to prove this here is an extremely extreme pose proving that it is not effected by the skin weights…at least not inside of CC3

Here is a picture showing which parts are connecting…the lower dress is sticking to the ends of the sleeves and you would think it’s the physics body when you see it…until I delete the physics body’s off her arms and you realize it still does it.

I finally got around to checking the weight paints out in blender…as far as I can tell not a thing is wrong with it…Below is the weight paints for each bone in one of the arms and for the area that it’s sticking too…

Also I just went through the trouble of submitting the bug, giving them a link to the project and a zipped copy of the character and animation it’s most noticeable on.