Character Creator 3 to ue4 Appearance Problem

I have a problem with my character after I import into Unreal it doesn’t look as good as it should and as it was in the character creator 3 editor.

vs

help!!!

How do i get the same quality on unreal???

Go through the make human stuff.
From just looking at it, I think that the skin for the face that was imported is using a non skin (sub surface) material.

Compare all materials. The eyes also seem to lack reflections.

However keep in mind that the lighting on the other editor is completely different then the preview in unreal. If you were to set up the same light angle and intensity in a map you might find they look identical already.
Still worth you going though the different material assets.

Really do not know how to do this, I have already changed several parameters of the material in unreal, but does not change anything significantly, not only the face, but the whole body has this visual defect I am using the material Hq body, I watched this video: Character Creator 3 Tutorial - Importing CC3 Characters to Unreal - YouTube and it uses more advanced materials and textures than the plugin but I can not find these files on my pc, I think maybe that’s it.

LOL, Unreal fortnitified the character!!!

1 Like

I found the textures and exported from cc3 to ue4 but it still looks bad, in fact the character mesh I created in character creator 3 doesn’t match the mesh that was exported, I put WorldGridMaterial in the material slots myself The character is still noticeable that the mesh is different from that of character creator 3, I already imported to several software and get the same result, this is a tremendous farce, this is probably happening because I am using a Free Trial Pepeline license and if I If you bought U$ 200 software this problem would probably go away.

I wonder if it has something to do with the defaults that Unreal renders it in, which could be hidden defaults for human characters. Why would it resize the nose, eyes, and change the hair to a different texture and fineness? The reflectivity is removed, and even appears that it changed the shoulder / neck position. What file type is it exported from CC3 in?

What are you guys on about? The character mesh probably uses morphs to conform to whatever you make. How else did you expect the program to make characters on the fly?

Complaining about the trial version saying that you would probably have to pay $200 to make it work is insane. How much do you think it costs to scan and make a photo realistic character from scratch? Trust me. Way more then $200 just in time and effort then you think.

And instead of coming on to the unreal answerhub for answers about a product that isn’t made or managed by Epic, have you tried the character maker support channels at all? What do they say?

They say just look for the Reallusion forum where basically for you to open a topic there you have to have an admin approval (which one never gets) and if they provide a plugin for unreal engine 4 then they were willing to give support for unreal and other software, so here on unreal’s answerhub only laymen asking for help, but no professional developer would come to this page to ask or give help (I think so), but back to the point I think if the Reallusion has created software that has rendering methods to make the character realistic only in its own editor but not for other engines, so why not open the option to imbue the effects that make the character beautiful in the geometry of the character’s vertices? For the difficulty I face then I prefer to create a human being in 3Dmax

Is Reallusion / CC3 asking for designers to abandon their product? What are you going to do with a product that doesn’t have such an essential part of a workflow / adaptation to other engines built into it? I honestly think it has more to do with Reallusion’s program than Unreal Engine. Unreal shouldn’t have to create import options for every character creation application.

FBX file .

If you do share the FBX file I’ll have a look at it.
I’m willing to bet the end result is a file with less material slots then it should have to properly render.

Also. From the image above, the morph targets imported but are all set to 0. Willing to bet some of them should be offset to give the mesh the same likeness.

I agree, but unfortunately Character Creator 3 is the best program for creating characters and has this huge flaw that will not be solved until major developers start throwing stones. What I realize in the PUBG game is that the characters are not so beautiful even with the graphics in ULTRA, probably the game developer had the same problem, giant developers create their characters from the beginning using different software to generate the human body mesh, the geometry and the textures. Sorry for bad english :slight_smile:

Your English is fine.

You are trying to make something that takes a professional weeks if not months to do in minutes.
As I mentioned before, learn the steps to do it by hand. Then taking whatever is produced by whatever else and adapting it is much faster.

General pitfalls and reasons things look bad are material related.

Most auto characters have 1 material slot.

Got get a decent face to render you need at least 5 materials.
Skin, eye occlusion, eye, eyelash, eye tear line.
Then if you add hair you have hair, beard, eyebrow, and probably peach fuzz.
On top of all of that you probably have the skin/clothing which can be another whole set of materials…

So you see, if you have never gone through a proper setup and created/modified the materials at least once, you are obviously left wondering why things don’t look right without any idea of where to start…

Here’s a link to a video tutorial on how to do auto material transfer from CC3 to Unreal:

There’s other videos on the side nav concerning CC3 to Unreal stuff. It would be great to be able to export, import, then everything be unchanged and complete. But I think there’s a need to learn how it’s done exactly, and not expect the transition to be ultra-smooth considering what happened to the model above. And it’s true, major developers do not create characters in a day or two, with all the fine details worked in and everything.

Be weary, at a glance of this video none of the face materials actually use the correct shaders /setup as detailed in the character documentation docs.
The face seems to be missing both a normal map and the micro normals as well as the skin pores.
I can’t be sure, but I do not think the eye even has an occlusion mesh in front, the correct eye geometry, or the tear line mesh. - if they are there they aren’t correctly configured to reflect.

Also, It didn’t seem like the skin was properly reacting to the light with sub surface scattering. Though this video is so minimal that it’s near impossible to tell. (He never panned looking towards the light source).

The end result is not horrible. But it’s not what one is normally after either.

Also. Roughness textures are usually extra trash. The docs make it clear you can get the same result using the built in normal to roughness method. Having roughness packed into a 3 channel texture becomes useless if you refactor the materials correctly.

I thought it would simply be to download this advanced program to make a realistic character “almost done” and enjoy it in my game. I really give up, I will try to create the character the hard way using different programs to generate the mesh and textures :frowning:

When I import to unreal engine 4 it comes with 5 material slots and the textures I export separately (base, normal, AO, olcusion, spectacular, roughness and matalico), I create the materials for each body part, head, arms , trunk and legs including slots for clothes, I add their textures to the correct pins with force parameters and still put effects on the materials to improve the look but it doesn’t work, the character remains different,

I also tested with the importer CC3 plugin in eu4 which does everything automatically when importing also has no result.

Already followed by this tutorial also did not work.