Chaos or Apex Destruction? Which Version?

Hi there, I’d like to make a game with some explosions and destruction.

I tried the Chaos destruction plugin in a source build for 4.23, but after 8 hours of messing with it, the destruction demo refused to compile and load. After building the editor, enabling the plugins, downloading the content, I opened the project and it needed to recompile something for an hour, then a vague fatal popup error and quit.

I tried Apex destruction in 4.23 and ran into another bug where my UStaticMeshComponents weren’t editable in blueprints. So I tried to recreate the project in 4.24, but get compile errors (see below).

From what I can tell, Chaos hasn’t shipped, and Apex has been depricated. And I’m not getting any traction.

If I want to use Apex, what’s the best version of the editor to use?
Is there documentation I’m missing on setting this up? All I’m finding are years old forum posts.

Compile Errors for Apex Destruction in 4.24 after adding ExtraModuleNames.AddRange( new string[] { "TestDestruction2", "ApexDestruction" } );

[Upgrade]
[Upgrade]
[Upgrade] Using backward-compatible build settings. The latest version of UE4 sets the following values by default, which may require code changes:
[Upgrade]     bLegacyPublicIncludePaths = false                 => Omits subfolders from public include paths to reduce compiler command line length. (Previously: true).
[Upgrade]     ShadowVariableWarningLevel = WarningLevel.Error   => Treats shadowed variable warnings as errors. (Previously: WarningLevel.Warning).
[Upgrade]     PCHUsage = PCHUsageMode.UseExplicitOrSharedPCHs   => Set in build.cs files to enables IWYU-style PCH model. See https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming/BuildTools/UnrealBuildTool/IWYU/index.html. (Previously: PCHUsageMode.UseSharedPCHs).
[Upgrade] Suppress this message by setting 'DefaultBuildSettings = BuildSettingsVersion.V2;' in TestDestruction2Editor.Target.cs, and explicitly overriding settings that differ from the new defaults.

no answer yet I see : (