Hello Unreal Community,
We’re excited to announce the public release of Cesium for Unreal, an open source plugin for Unreal Engine that bridges the gap between the 3D geospatial ecosystem and Unreal Engine. Cesium for Unreal brings together decades of advancements in 3D geospatial and Unreal Engine to allow our users to create amazing real-world based applications, simulations, and experiences.
See Cesium for Unreal in Action
Cesium for Unreal is:
- A highly-accurate global-scale WGS84 globe gleaned from our deep experience working alongside rocket scientists in aerospace analysis and visualization.
- A runtime 3D Tiles engine, complete with level-of-detail selection and caching, to stream massive 3D geospatial datasets, such as terrain, imagery, 3D cities, and photogrammetry, from the cloud, a private network, or the local machine.
- Integrated with Unreal Engine Editor, Actors and Components, Blueprints, Landscaping and Foliage, Sublevels, and Sequencer to enable, for example, character and vehicle physics and collisions with photogrammetry models; atmosphere, shadows, and volumetric clouds to add a wow factor to terrain and imagery; Unreal’s water engine to add realism to real-world coastal scans; and using Unreal’s landscaping tool to add foliage to real-world terrain.
- Integrated with Cesium ion cloud services for instant access to curated 3D geospatial content such as global terrain, imagery, and buildings, as well as 3D tiling pipelines to optimize real-world 3D content for streaming.
Cesium for Unreal is licensed under the liberal open source Apache 2.0 license, allowing developers, game designers, and creators to build amazing apps, simulations, and experiences for both commercial and non-commercial use.
Cesium for Unreal development is supported by Cesium ion, an optional subscription-based cloud service for streaming 3D geospatial content. Signing in with your Cesium ion account in Unreal Engine will give you one-click access to global data ready for streaming and building apps. As a celebration of the Cesium for Unreal launch, users evaluating Cesium for Unreal will get unrestricted data streaming as part of your free Cesium ion Community Account until May 31.
We Want To Hear From You
We cannot overstate how excited we are to release this publicly, and can’t wait to see what you build with this. Please sure to share any videos, screenshots, or apps that you build on Twitter using @CesiumJS](https://twitter.com/cesiumjs).
We also want to hear from you about your questions, comments, feature requests, and feedback, as we just start this journey in unlocking the full potential of 3D geospatial for Unreal Engine.
- Download the free Cesium for Unreal plugin from the Unreal Engine Marketplace.
- Also download Cesium for Unreal Samples from the Unreal Engine Marketplace](https://cesium.com/unreal-samples-marketplace?utm_source=ue-forum&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=unreal), a project that lets you experience Cesium for Unreal and Unreal Engine with pre-built levels.
- Visit the Cesium Learning Center](Learn | cesium.com) for detailed tutorials on geospatial and Unreal Engine concepts to help you get started.
- If you have any questions about the Cesium Platform, Cesium ion, or Cesium for Unreal, you can also reach us on the Cesium Community Forum.
The Cesium Team