Capture resolution

I would like to capture a sequence with a resolution higher than 7680 limit in rendering movie settings.
How can I do?

You can set the resolution with Blueprints.
If the resolution is bigger the your screen resolution, then the game will be to big to fit your screen and will not show the bottom right corner.
Tell me if that did help you

same problem here, how to go ahead of 7680px in Cinemaics rendering settings?

wrapping my head around the same issue, trying to push the Cinematics render resolution above 7860px.
Where do you place Blueprints to do this? Is there a way to set the resolution via console?
best thanks

Maybe Unreal Engine 4 do not suport resolution over 7860p

do you think there’s a reference to verify?
At the moment I only found nDisplay as solution but it’s not so easy to configure and can’t figure out if it’s possibile to render separate screens

Limit size is 8192 (1x1 to 8192x8192 is 14 mips)

Here is more info:

That limit is for textures. The possible render resolution is actually lower. My RTX 2070 Super has a maximum render resolution of 7860p, so I don’t know what the limit of ue4 would theoretically be, but 7860p is a hardware limit.

You are right, it is hardware limit

I’m not agree about the hardware limit. I’ve the same problem using a RTX 6000, which have a texture limit of 32k by 32k, and FYI, Unity game engine can export capture files as a Image sequence with unlimited resolution.

I’m on the same opinion, it can be an hardware limit.
I can export 16k video from unity with no problem, and at the same time nDisplay for unreal is the proof you can render in real-time way more big resolutions.

I looked at the specs of the RTX 6000 and it too has a maximum render resolution of 7860p. The problem is the render resolution for one image not maximum texture size.

nDisplay renders several images. You will have the maximum of 7860p per image.

If you render 4 images at 7860p and stitch them together you will get an 16k image as end result (if you render 16 images at 7860p and stitch them together you will get an 32k image as end result, …)

I don’t know enough about sequencer to tell you whether or not it is possible out of the box to render several images and stitch them together with correct perspective and screen space effects, if not then you will be limited to 7860p unless you set the it up yourself.

It may be possible if you build the engine from source code

Yeah I’ve explored the nDisplay solution but I don’t want to use it for several reasons.

What do you mean with:

“you will be limited to 7860p unless you set the it up yourself.” ?
My question is exactly how can I setup by myself

Please take into account that if I need to export a media (video) file from Unreal this means I need to use it somewhere else.
So there isn’t really need of “realtime output render” neither limit it to the capabilities of a single output of the GPU.
Just for example if I connect three 4k monitors out of a GPU (most of the current gpus support it effortlessly), I need a window that spans over 11520 by 2160, most of the softwares will do it, so please don’t tell that Unreal isn’t capable to do that.
Unity, as many other softwares related to media creation, either “real time” or not (Blender or C4D just for example), can leverage the power of GPU to render a media file out of the sequence created inside.
Moreover in Unity you can setup a resolution of your choice and the output will be rendered at that resolution (in this case limited only by the maximum texture dimension handled by the gpu - far beyond 7680).
So just wondering why this is so difficult to figure out in Unreal, it is just a matter create a virtual rendering of the viewport in a finite dimension and export it as a image…

Obviously there’s a reason if we’re using Unreal instead of Blender or C4D,
I’ve never stated that “unreal isn’t capable”, instead I’ve only underlined what you said about that issue can’t be related to any hardware limits :slight_smile:

We’re only asking if there’s a tweak to push Cinematics rendering above 7680px.
At the moment I only found nDisplay as a solution, but we don’t want to use it for workflow reasons,

“So just wondering why this is so difficult to figure out in Unreal, it is just a matter create a virtual rendering of the viewport in a finite dimension and export it as a image…”

Because Cinematics Render can’t go more than 7680px

thanks so much!

I’ve never stated that “unreal isn’t capable”

Sorry Huxyal, this was not directed to you, but just for those who stand that this issue arise by hardware limitation.
I’m just explaining why the hardware is not the limit here, I’m thinking exactly as you.

So excluding the hardware limitation there is only two reason that we cannot achieve such resolution exports:

• for Unreal intrinsic software design (hard to workaround)
  • for a parametrized limitation (just a matter of find that parameter)

Is there any Epic developer here that can address us correctly?

Maybe there is some misunderstanding. I said it is limited by the GPU because of this:

UE4 uses deferred renderer, so in the first pass everything that’s inside the view is written to buffers. Each buffer has the resolution of the desired render resolution. Then those buffers are used to generate the final image. The GPU has a limit (7680p) of how big this output resolution can be.

So the software could first let the GPU render several images and then combine them together into the final image, so work around the GPU limitation (seems to me, that is exactly what nDisplay does) but this has to be actually implemented and I can’t tell you whether or not sequencer has implemented such an approach out of the box. If not, so if it renders everything in one pass, then you will be limited by 7680p. So if the software won’t do such a thing, then you’re limited by what the hardware can output in one image (7680p).