Can't Spawn Motion Controller Pawn

I have this question up in BP, but I just noticed there is a VR section, so i am going to ask here and go remove the questions from over there (in case anyone is wondering why there are same questions out there).

I am not sure if one can spawn the motion controller pawn in VR. I’ve tried and either it don’t work or I am doing it wrong. Here is a screen shot.

Also what bugs me is a lot of people are using “player start” in VR. I can not. It literally will not function unless I put the motion controller pawn in the level. This is why I am questioning if spawn actor from class will work.

Do you mean showing your controllers in VR? What set do you use?

No, it was the fact I didn’t add “Enable Input”. Now it spawns. I am working with Oculus Quest. My new problem with the spawn is the Motion Controller Pawn rotation wont function. The spawn box(BPActor) has an arrow component on it, and it shows pointing away from door. But on spawn, I am facing the door. As you see in my BP, I have get spawn box world rotation and feed it in. But the player will not rotate.

what do you mean by ‘enable input’? i am having the same problem after i migrated a project…

Hmm, sounds like there could be a few things going on…

1. If the Player Start isnt spawning the correct pawn, check your world settings and confirm that you have a gamemode set with your desired pawn set as the Default Pawn Class. This should allow the player to spawn as your VR pawn. If theres a player pawn in the level, your player controller will attempt to possess it, which is why youre seeing the ‘correct’ outcome by placing the actual pawn. This isnt efficient, though.

2. Be cautious using a Spawn Actor From Class when it comes to player pawns and pawn possession. The Player Controller should be doing the possession at least, and it would probably be best to have the Player Controller or the Game Mode spawn the player pawn at whatever location, and then prompt the Player Controller to possess the Pawn. This shouldnt be necessary for single player games; you should be able to set a default Pawn in the Game Mode and then let the Player Start object do the rest of the work.

3. VR Pawn rotation can be confusing, but once you have your head around it, it’s pretty simple :slight_smile: I think what you’re noticing is that when you attempt to rotate the Pawn (im guessing with a joystick or button input), it’s not working - this is actually by design. If you’re using the default VR Pawn from the UE4 template, you’ll have a VR Origin component, a camera, and a capsule with an arrow. If this is the case, you need to add world rotation to the VR Origin component, not the actor itself or the camera alone.

One other note is that there’s a node in UE4 called ‘Enable HMD’ and if you find that your project isnt initializing in your headset after packaging, not having that node is a common reason why.