Download

Can't navigate VRPawn anymore

[FONT=“Arial”]I just upgraded to the version 4.23 converting a scene that was created in 4.21 I’m exporting a scene to the Oculus Quest to test and I’m having a problem with the VRPawn. In the previous version everything was working but now when I try to teleport to a different location it doesn’t function correctly. I should be able to use the controller to point to where I want to go with the arrow and arc indicating where I’ll end up but now the arrow is locked below the Pawn and there’s a blue ball in my hand. If I point in the direction I want to go and press the hand controller button the pawn will move about a foot each time. Something is broken, I thought the collisions may be messed up but so far I haven’t found anything that would keep it from working. I’ve deleted and rebuilt the Nav mesh but it doesn’t make any difference, do you have any idea what’s going wrong?

One additional piece of information that may be relevant is I updated the Windows SDK and now in order to side load my project to the Quest I have to turn off Gradle. I don’t really know what it does so it may just be a coincidence but I thought I’d mention it. I’ve also tried deleting the Pawn and copying one from another scene that I know works into this scene but it behaves in the same way. I’m at a loss and would really appreciate some help.

Greetings. I have a similar problem while working with the VR template. I open the motion controller map and everything works great. The VR pawn teleports with HTC’s controllers as it should and I can grab the cubes. But after some additions to the level such as new corridors, rooms etc and some level BP functionality, the teleport function stops to work and the user cannot move at all. The blue arch that indicates the teleport is short and cut and no teleport square is shown. Also this happens sometimes when I reopen a VR template project that was working great before.

I try to edit the navigation mesh properties but this does not seem to help at all. The navigation mesh seems that works properly because I can see the green areas (by pressing P) that I want to teleport but as I said the teleport arch does not work.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

I had that problem too. If you have walls around take out from them any collision.

Ok thanks, I’ll try that. The only problem is that I need the wall’s collision.

I didn’t had to remove any collision. I opened the project today and the teleport function is working again. Strange…

I did this and now it works but previously in an older version the teleport function worked with the collisions. I’m glad it’s working again but I’d really like to know why this happened.

When you convert your scene to a new version it may be possible that unreal generate an auto collision with some meshs. (it was my case with a closed room)I spent lot of time to find a solution because I was not able anymore to navigate. By checking the mesh ,I saw that UE had generated a default collision. For VR I’m using Volumes to handle navigation.

Same here…any info on this subject would be really appreciated. It happens some time while working with the VR template and its really annoying.

I have the same problem. Motion controller map with Vive. All new meshes I add to the map work fine, so my work-around was just to make a new static mesh for the floor.

I have the feeling there may be more than one variable to consider that might be causing this issue. But I was able to recreate the issue when I messed with the settings in the RecastNavMesh-Default BP that is in that motion controller map (Or in the Navigation Mesh settings under project settings). I have found that the Quest is VERY finicky with the collision and nav mesh. My issue didn’t come up when playing in vive, just when deploying to Quest. If I adjust any of those values in the nav mesh, I get the symptom described, where the teleport trajectory gets cut off to be a blue nub in your hand, and you can’t teleport. Even if I replace the values back to default, it stays broken. I have found a solid solution is to keep a back up of the default map, and that way you have something to revert to for troubleshooting. Always adjust the values in the RecastNavMesh-Default rather than project settings, so that you can revert to default more easily.

I’m still pretty fresh to Quest development, but that has been my experience with this issue.