Can't figure out how to use Vertex Color instead of VertexNormalWS to create rim offset and offset outline based on Stylised paint shader breakdown

Well, but you did isolate the UV correctly somewhere, since the inflating of the outer shell only works OK in the video you shared.

If its just this one material, use the same paramrters on both (drag from the same output pin to both alpha’s of the lerp or IF A/B).

I havent looked into why parsing the UV into the custom UV channel returns bad values.
Id just assume the bad values of the custom uv cannel are being used for the alpha/transparency.

If anyone from the other topic pivks this up, I’d be curious to know wtf is going on with custom UV offsetting or color ramping the values instead of retaining whatver was pushed to it…

Havent had that happen with .24, but the version i used to test/build was .27 and it was doing this pretty consistently on everything fed into a custom UV.

A pixel value of 0 and a vertex value of 0 should be the same in this case.

The mesh verticis are built to be isolated by the UV map.
Coloring the UV map returns the proper values.

I see no obvious reason an interpolation from pixel to vertex would result in altering of values when they are literally 0 or 1.

The process seems to be changing things to
0 to 1 gradually in .1 of UV space, then 1.
No one told it to do that transition gradually. Matter of fact, it was specifically output as 0 back into the cusrom UV.

One thing i havent tried was to enable better UV precision for the mesh - but really it shouldnt matter to this… or the offseting/lerping of the value…

Yea…no one hasn’t unfortunately.

You think it’s possible it’s breaking because I’m using 5.1? I had issues using Mixamo animations there. I could download 4.27 to see if it really is an issue with the engine version.

I think the issue is consistent through a few versions.

You can try, but id say not to bother. Just use the node/math that works instead…

Are we talking about the output as in what we plug in for the Base Color? Sorry that I’m not getting it right away.

Or this, because I think the issue might have actually been that I didn’t flip the blacks and whites of my detail map and I think that was it. :person_facepalming:

Also made it two sided to see what it would look like.

Thank you again, for your patience.

No. Whatever is going into the UV that works.
Would need a full screenshot to be more precise.

Basically a clean / not fed into the custom uv channel version of what i labeled
Isolate inside/outside uv.

Tried plugging Isolate inside/outside uv portion for the alpha.

Theres 2, you probably eother need to 1- it to invert it or to just use the other.

1 Like

Not sure what you are trying to do there.

If you want to adjust the Opacity of the outer shell.

First. Figure out which UV is right - preview the output of the UV - you can do this by adding an add node and adding 0 and clicking preview from the rightclick sub-menu of the node.
What you want to see is the inner shell being black. The outside being white.

From that - you apply the result to whatever you want to do as a UV.

If you want to add transparency to the outher shell, make sure the material domain is correct for what you want.
Then lerp just like you are doing against something thats not 0 to see results.

Whatever areas are white in the preview are whatever the lerp will result into.

The reason for having 2 UVs is that you need to be able to map areas to pixels differently for the outer and inner shell while also being able to isolate them.

So, one UV will have the points of the outer shell in a 0 to .01 range, while the other will have the same points in a .01 to 1 range.

To apply a texture to it properly, you want the uv that is in a .01 to 1 range.
Or else, the same pixel would be applied to the whole mesh part, making it a unique color.

Maybe that is what was happening or why you are confused about it.

1 Like

Alright, thank you so much. Again, I appreciate your responses and will take this info into the future. Have a good rest of the week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.