Can't create C++ projects/classes/regenerate project files

Hi

For some reason I can’t build any C++ projects anymore. When I try to create a new project through the launcher the following message appears. The same message appears when trying to regenerate the project files for a project.

It’s looking for the file “H:\UDK\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.csproj” which I don’t have in that directory. But how can I fix this if I don’t have it?

When trying to create a C++ class in an existing project derived off of any predefined classes I get the message: Failed to add class MyActor. Failed to generate project files.

And I don’t need or use any related stuff.

Failed to generate project files. Log output:
Running H:/UDK/Epic Games/4.7/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -progress
Missing required component PS4RHI ('..\..\Engine\Source\Runtime\PS4\PS4RHI\PS4RHI.Build.cs' --> 'H:\UDK\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Source\Runtime\PS4\PS4RHI\PS4RHI.Build.cs'. Check source control filtering, or try resyncing.
Missing required component PS4TargetPlatform ('..\..\Engine\Source\Developer\PS4\PS4TargetPlatform\PS4TargetPlatform.Build.cs' --> 'H:\UDK\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Source\Developer\PS4\PS4TargetPlatform\PS4TargetPlatform.Build.cs'. Check source control filtering, or try resyncing.
Missing required component AT9AudioFormat ('..\..\Engine\Source\Developer\PS4\AT9AudioFormat\AT9AudioFormat.Build.cs' --> 'H:\UDK\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Source\Developer\PS4\AT9AudioFormat\AT9AudioFormat.Build.cs'. Check source control filtering, or try resyncing.
Missing required component PS4ShaderFormat ('..\..\Engine\Source\Developer\PS4\PS4ShaderFormat\PS4ShaderFormat.Build.cs' --> 'H:\UDK\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Source\Developer\PS4\PS4ShaderFormat\PS4ShaderFormat.Build.cs'. Check source control filtering, or try resyncing.
UnrealBuildTool Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Ein Teil des Pfades "H:\UDK\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.csproj" konnte nicht gefunden werden.
   bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   bei System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   bei System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   bei System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
   bei System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
   bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrlDelegate(Object xmlResolver)
   bei System.Threading.CompressedStack.runTryCode(Object userData)
   bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
   bei System.Threading.CompressedStack.Run(CompressedStack compressedStack, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrl()
   bei System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.()
   bei System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   bei System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   bei System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
   bei UnrealBuildTool.MSBuildProjectFile.LoadGUIDFromExistingProject()
   bei UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.AddExistingProjectFile(ProjectFile InProject, Boolean bNeedsAllPlatformAndConfigurations, Boolean bForceDevelopmentConfiguration, Boolean bProjectDeploys, List`1 InSupportedPlatforms, List`1 InSupportedConfigurations)
   bei UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.AddUnrealBuildToolProject(MasterProjectFolder ProgramsFolder)
   bei UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.GenerateProjectFiles(String[] Arguments, Boolean& bSuccess)
   bei UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.GenerateProjectFiles(ProjectFileGenerator Generator, String[] Arguments)
   bei UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(String[] Arguments)

Addition: I’ve let it verify the installation and deleted temporary files. Hasn’t helped.

I reinstalled it. Hasn’t worked also.

Hey Andit001-

Are you using the source code from Github or are you using the binary version of the engine from the Launcher? If you’re using source code you can try going into the folder where the engine was installed and navigate to the Engine\Source\Developer folder. If you find a folder for in the directory you should be able to remove it and then generate project files / build the engine again.

Cheers

Hey ,

I’m using the binary version through the launcher (4.7.6).

I’ve installed the source code additionally now so I can still try things out. But I can’t get the regular install to work anymore. With the source version it takes much longer to hot reload and compile code than it used to with the binary install.

Greetings
Andi

Searching the folder structure where the binary engine is installed for me I was able to find the same file path mentioned (Engine\Source\Developer). If you look inside this folder where your binary engine is installed you may find the folder. If so, again remove it and try to create a new code project.

I only had the DotNetCommon folder there. There wasn’t any other folder in there. Maybe that’s part of the problem but I thought it has to be like that after verifying and re-installing hasn’t changed that.

As 4.8.0 came out today, I’m downloading the new version at the moment and see if it works. Thanks for your help.

Hey Andit001-

Did upgrading to 4.8 help at all with creating code projects / adding code to a project? If you’re still having any problems please let me know and include any additional information you have after trying 4.8.

Cheers

Hey

Yes, upgrading helped. Works as it should.

Greetings
Andi