Cannot pick up object a second time.

I have actors with the Pickup Actor interface on them and I can pick up the object, but after I drop it I cannot pick it up again.

Additionally if I have the actor attached to a different actor and detach it in blueprints, I cannot pick it up either.

I came across this issue myself Earlier while I was trying to solve my own issues with creating a BASE ACTOR. I was unable to pick up the Flashlight static mesh I just dropped.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve…se-actor-issue

What I think is happening here is that you are picking up the item by the scene root, and on drop Event - setting the mesh to simulate physics.
So it looks like you have dropped the item but really the root it still attached.
I may be wrong , but if you do this with a static mesh actor or skeletal mesh actor BP, and NOT the actor BP it will work fine because the mesh is the root.

I don’t know how to solve this just yet :frowning:

Just tested this theory. When I drop the object in game, I can see it is detached from the controller in the world outliner. Would that mean that the scene root is detaching from the controller?

Update: Okay I switched it to a static mesh actor in the class settings and I am no longer having the issue so I guess I would call this solved! Thank you very much

What exactly did you change in the class settings? I see you say you set it to static mesh, but I don’t see that.

Hello Usa,

There was a new VR Template introduced with 4.27 and this post references logic in the previous template.

A good place to start with understanding the pickup system would be this video hosted by the creator of the new Template. (See timestamps for discussion of grab system)

1 Like

I ended up remaking a barrel actor weapon blueprint, and this time I only had a static mesh, no box collisions under it to get deparented or detached from the mesh during the main detach and add physics. I read a lot of threads that said to do that. Seems to have worked for now. Thanks for responding and giving info on this.