Can´t Create Layer in UE5 for Stencil Clip Render

Hello there, i really hope someone can help me.
I need to create Layers in UE5 to render “stencil” → Basically have the foreground and the Background seperately rendered as an .exr file.
I tried to create Data Layers instead, but i cant add them in the deferred Render settings, since it wants the “Legacy” layers.
Someone know a way around or a Fix? It would really help me!
Best Regards, Emma

1 Like

Can I bump this!? it’s crazy to me that this feature isn’t supported especially when their debut of world partition maps is the matrix, showing off how this can be used in cinematics… and then we can’t even comp properly. SMH, all the compositors at my company are riding my ■■■ trying to get mattes out of unreal and the only thing I can deliver is the most dense cryptomatte file known to man.

Do you guys know about the Stencil Layer in The Movie Render Que?
this tutorial shows it: Why You Should Be Using Stencil / Render Layers - Unreal Engine 4.26 - YouTube
However I’m trying to get this going in ue 5 and it just doesn’t seem to work.
If anyone knows how to properly render out layers, pleeaase. I’m stuck on this since days…

Stencil layers no longer work in Unreal 5 , you have to be using data layers. These do not have the full functionality of stencil layers, but those are already deprecated! For some reason Unreal loves disabling the functionality of things that already work when their replacements are still garbage. Closest I found was rendering out mattes: MRQ>Rendering>cryptomatte (foundry) and I think there you can render actors by layers.