Can not import alembic groom in UE5

I can not import alembic groom. I installed plugin and first time it worked. Actually it was second try - first time I clicked Alembic (.abc) and it imported something invisible. Second time I closely examined import file formats list and chose Alembic groom. And it worked well. Problem is after this alembic groom vanished forever from import list. I tried reinstalling plugin many times and restarting engine, but without any success. Any advice?

UPDATE: I can confirm the fact, that plugin is super buggy. UE version does not matter - same happens in 4.26, 4.27 and 5.0. When you click import button and then click .abc file, there is small chance you can get hair strand import option. In most cases there is ONLY option to import alembic file. But SOMETIMES import dialogue MAY display “alembic groom” import option. So the only way I see is to try ■■■■ many times and hopefully you may get necessary option… or you may not.
If you want test it yourself, I am sending alembic groom file.
https://mega.nz/file/SE5hWTiL#7sPIq9DaZeRHFQ8gNnBWa3kjgK9rlhCzOtdbIFbp4f8

I’ve just started to learn groom and im unsure if it’s because im making them with new blender groom tools in alpha or if ue5 just doesn’t want to import properly. Im not getting the groom import box show up just the alembic one. I tried many times and options but nothing works, any ideas?

Are you using the new blender hair tools or the original way?

This groom was actually created by Hair converter for blender (it converts daz hairs to grooms).

Does that work with any card based hairs do you think?

I would like to convert one but unsure how.

Yes, there should be no problem. You can watch this 5 parts tutorial: Part 1 - DAZ Hair to Unreal Engine - The Issue - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks i will check it out. I will have to try making a groom the old way and see if it imports ok, also importing into 4.27 may be another option?

I am also seeing this issue in UE 5.0.3 exporting particle hair from Blender 3.1.2. I tried importing Makumba’s file around 10 times and was unable to get the “alembic groom” option to ever appear. Tutorials I saw were using older versions of Blender, so I might try 2.9 or something. However, I was able to see the hair in Blender when re-importing the exported .abc, so the problem is more likely the UE import than the Blender export.

I didn’t have any luck exporting with Blender 2.93 LTS either.

having issues with this too! i’ve tried different versions of blender, tried ue4, but nothing is working. i followed a video tutorial and my export settings were correct … has anyone managed to figure this out yet?

I also have not found a solution yet and am unable to import hair. I tried UE4 in addition to older Blender versions with no success.

really bizarre, i somehow got it to work using the daz hair plugin from jobutsu’s github, blender 3.2.2, ue5 and making sure the ‘show emitter’ in the render section of blender is unchecked, scale 100, frames 1 and 1 and in export options checking ‘selected objects’ and ‘visible objects’ i swear it wasnt working before… i dont know if this helps anyone, maybe try out this file as a test and see if it works for you. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Importing twinhandmovement’s file into UE5 worked for me. I was also able to get the export to for hair made entirely in Blender to work this time from Blender 3.2.2 by selecting “Viewport” settings from the dropdown instead of “Render” settings, along with scale 100, frames 1 to 1, and selected + visible objects. I’m not sure why that made a difference, since Display amount and Render Amount under Children were both set to 5.

Edit: And to clarify, this was hair made with the older particle hair system, and “show emitter” was toggled off as well

1 Like

After some testing, I discovered that I only get the groom export options if I have ONLY the mesh (with its hair) selected, nothing else. If I have anything else selected, including the rig or otherwise, I don’t get the groom options box.

1 Like

Sorry but all the ideas you guys offer i have tried,bug it doesn’t work.So are there anyone have other ideas?I’ve been carzy for this.

uncheck SHOW EMITTER in the particles propriety tab in blender before export, should show the right window when importing the alembic file into unreal

1 Like

i had this problem and i just made a dummy empty groom to see if that worked ( right click on content browser → miscellaneous → Groom )
once the empty groom was created i then was able to import the abc with import groom options

Thank you to 2 of you.
What worked for me were 2 things - Kept only the Mesh with hair visible AND kept Settings for ‘Viewport’ as mentioned above. Sharing the export window for ref.

Well I had this problem too. After a lot of frustration I found the issue: you need to make sure your blender hair has only one particle system in it. The Daz Hair Converter addon for blender sometimes produces more than one particle system. Just keep hair-01 and delete the other one and it should work.

I had this problem too. But i finished it.
I use blender 2.9 to create the convert of DAZ’s hair. After that I use blender 3.3 to open the 2.9 project to export the .abc file.
That file will be recognized by the groom file importer in UE 5.0.3

The issue may be the problem of version conflicts. Apology for my bad English, but i do hope it can help u.