Can i use a twitter API in Ue4?

Being a complete beginner when it comes to C++ in Unreal, I want to know if it’s possible to implement API’s whether it be Twitter/Youtube/Weather etc.
Any Help would be highly appreciated.

1 Like

The engine is open source, so with enough technical experience you could integrate anything really. However, there are currently a lot of apis that people integrate all the time with UE4. A popular one is steam. Each one will take a different amount of work. If you look at the engine source in visual studio, under the ThirdParty folders you can see what APIs come pre-bundled in the engine, and you can see its integration.

heres the article on steam integration to maybe give you an idea of how it all works:

EDIT:

here’s a good question asked on the answerhub on bringing in a third party api to UE4. Its not twitter, but it may also be useful in getting you traveling down the right road.

Thanks, And by the way i used twitter as an example, i actually was interested in grabbing real world weather information, which may even be easier.

For something as simple as that it should be as easy as just following the first set of directions from the second link I put in the post.

Steps to add RakNet (release) to UE4:

Download RakNet.

Copy "RakNet-master" folder to "UE4/Engine/Source/ThirdParty/RakNet/".

Create there "RakNet.Build.cs"

using UnrealBuildTool;

public class RakNet : ModuleRules
     {
         public RakNet(TargetInfo Target)
         {
             Type = ModuleType.External;

if (Target.Platform == UnrealTargetPlatform.Win64)
             {
                 PublicIncludePaths.Add(UEBuildConfiguration.UEThirdPartySourceDirectory + "RakNet/RakNet-master/Source/");
                 PublicLibraryPaths.Add(UEBuildConfiguration.UEThirdPartySourceDirectory + "RakNet/RakNet-master/Lib/");
                 PublicAdditionalLibraries.Add("RakNet_vs2008_libstatic_release_x64.lib");
             }
         }
     }

So basically, just follow the above directions, but replace RakNet with your api. Its really as simple as adding it to the directory structure and adding a Api.build.cs to the project, and using the above as a template, but modify to match your api. After that is just like normal with #includes and whatnot. Bigger more robust would require more information but yours seems like a simple Push of data and has its own separate calls that shouldnt rely on anything engine related, like graphics or networking.