Can I shift a float 1 using a float 2 as the UV?

your picture link doesn t work, can you fix that so i can healp ?
thanks !

I’m trying to shift the position some Voronoi noise in a material based on the colour given to it through a cellnoise node. I’m using a component mask to separate the three channels, I’m using the green channel as a brightness value and using ceil to make it either 1 or 0. I’d like to then move these based on the values of the red and blue channels acting as the u and v of a uv, I don’t know if this is possible and I’ve not been successful so far. Any help you could offer would be great, thanks.

Thanks, it’s close but the issue I’m having is not having a texture sample to apply this to. I’m hoping to apply the shift to the ceil node but I don’t know how to do it without a UV input. I could put it into a render target then use that texture in another material but ideally I’d like to keep it within the same material.

Of course, I think I’ve corrected it now, thanks for pointing it out.

so i m not sure of what you want to achieve here. but here is an exemple :

once you make a vector 2 of your R and B channel (sorry on my exemple its G and B ) you can multiply them by a factor to limit or amplify noise impact and then just add it to your textcoor of the texture you want to sample.
is that what you want?

Ah that might be quite helpful, I’ve put together a quick image to help me explain it. So the first panel is what I’ve got with the Voronoi and cellnoise with each cell having its own colour. From there I’m extracting the green cells with G above 127 and making those cells white and the others black in the second part. I’m hoping to then move those cells left and right or up and down based on the values of the cells R and B channels. I’m then hoping to additively add these to show brighter parts where they’ve moved together and darker areas where they’ve moved apart. It’s the last two parts I’ve had issues doing though. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this as well.

i m not sure of what you want to achieve with that , with more infos i could help more, but what you can do is create a local space gradient, and use it like UV (as uv are gradient from 0-1 )
did this help ?

I’ve not been able to directly do as I’ve shown above but I think I’ve got something that works for what I want. I’ve lerped between red and blue here as a proxy for if it’s travelling left/right or up/down and by how much. I’ve then taken the ddx and ddy to show the edges of each and if they’re moving together or apart. I’ve then added these values for the red mask and blue mask to get the edges of each cell and if they’re colliding or moving apart. I think from here I can fake what I was hoping to achieve above although at the moment the lines are quite thin and I’d like to expand them a bit more.