Can I Manually change the Blueprint Parent Class?

I’m migrating contents to another project. Unfortunately the Blueprint could not find the parent class which are part of the script. I am now unable to open/modify that blueprint.

Is there anyway I can manually change the blueprint’s parent class?

The only solution I know of is to make sure you name the class in the c++ the same way it used to be, so the BP can find it’s parent again

I had to do this today actually

Rama

In my case it’s due to the project change

[Projectname].class

since the projectname is different. how can you change that?

#Unresolved

I dont know,I hope Epic can help more!

Hi Frozenfire,

Do you have a clearcut repo case for this as I’d like to submit this issue in our database for a developers to review.

Thanks,

-W

Hi Wes Bunn,

It’s very simple. I make a new class. Make a blueprint using that as a parent class. So now the the blueprint’s parent is FPS_Tutorial.FPS_OverlookingPawn

Now it is in a new project. To be clear. My new project has a similar ParentClass * in this case “FPS_OverlookingPawn” but the fullpath is ProjectCombine.FPS_OverlookingPawn

Thus the blueprint is looking for “FPS_Tutorial.FPS_OverlookingPawn” and not “ProjectCombine.FPS_OverlookingPawn”

The new blueprint can no longer be opened and be edited.

You can add a game name redirector to your project in your project’s Config/DefaultEngine.ini file, under the Engine section like this:

[/Script/Engine.Engine]
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName="/Script/OldGame",NewGameName="/Script/NewGame")
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName="OldGame",NewGameName="NewGame")

Which should allow you to access the class and load your stuff! We’re also working on ways to salvage content where the parent class has gone away. Right now, we block it because of the potential for data loss when we try to load it up, but there are things we can do to let you pick a new base class and recover some of that data. Stay tuned!

thanks this is extremely helpful

I have the same problem.
Once the editor set the parent class to None, even with putting back the original file/class the blueprint is still referencing None as parent class.

You should add the option to reparent a blueprint when the parent class is none.
Otherwise, the blueprint is lost.

Waiting on Epic to give a solution to reparent a blueprint with none as a parent class.

D.

1 Like

you are a ****** genius man! thank you!

As of version 4.10, in the Blueprint Editor choose File->Reparent Blueprint to change the parenting class.

This worked for me thanks

No, this is not the answer. When project name or C++ class name of the blueprint changed, you can no longer open the Blueprint.

This solved my issue for me. A blueprint lost its parent class in a project rename and this was the next best option.