Can anyone help me with this error? 1074 assertion failed, shared pointer..

Assertion failed: IsValid() [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\SharedPointer.h] [Line: 1074]

UnrealEditor_Engine!FPerInstanceRenderData::UpdateBoundsTransforms() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\InstancedStaticMesh.cpp:1152]
UnrealEditor_Engine!TGraphTask<TFunctionGraphTaskImpl<void __cdecl(void),0> >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:975]
UnrealEditor_Core!<lambda_b0effac95abe128e68ff2c315eb1e3d1>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\Task.h:350]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::TTaskDelegate<void __cdecl(bool),48>::TTaskDelegateImpl<<lambda_b0effac95abe128e68ff2c315eb1e3d1>,0>::CallAndMove() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\TaskDelegate.h:171]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FTask::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\Fundamental\Task.h:426]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::TryExecuteTaskFrom<&LowLevelTasks::TLocalQueueRegistry<1024>::TLocalQueue::DequeueGlobal,0>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:280]
UnrealEditor_Core!LowLevelTasks::FScheduler::WorkerMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\Fundamental\Scheduler.cpp:320]
UnrealEditor_Core!UE::Core::Private::Function::TFunctionRefCaller<<lambda_776551d1e343b6cb7eaf0e5521c77c81>,void __cdecl(void)>::Call() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\Function.h:549]
UnrealEditor_Core!FThreadImpl::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\Thread.cpp:69]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:146]

This literally just showed up today and I have no idea why and it is making it so I cannot continue developing my game. Please help.

Are you developing in C++, or blueprint only?
Are you using any non-standard plug-ins?
Which version of the engine are you using?

It kind of looks like you’re running a custom build of the engine; if that’s so, then it’s very likely that your code/changes have a bug, where they make some object invalid/deleted before the engine is done with it.
To know exactly which object, you’d need to examine the pointer values and the heap around that pointer, as well as where the reference is coming from (some per-instance render data) to figure out what it is.

Ok so It is Blueprint only atm.
I am not using any Nonstandard plugins
I am using 5.0.3 and no it is not a custom build.

If this happens without custom plugins in a blueprint project, using stock 5.0.3, then that’s an engine bug.
You might want to file a bug report to raise the visibility of it. I assume you’re already sending the “report this crash” error reports?

Hi @Xoremus just so you know we’re having the same exact problem, asked a question about it on https://udn.unrealengine.com/s/question/0D54z00008PS9rDCAT/possible-bug-on-uinstancedstaticmeshcomponent hoping to find an official answer. Let me know if you find out anything

I’m having the same issue/bug, using 5.1.

Default engine build downloaded directly from Epic app. No plugins, new project.

Perhaps this can help, we “solved” the issue by disabling raytracing for InstancedStaticMesh by adding r.RayTracing.Geometry.InstancedStaticMeshes=False to DefaultEngine.ini. Completely disabling raytracing also work.
Of course this is a workaround, the issue is still there, but at least we can avoid crashes until Epic releases an actual fix.

2 Likes