Camera

Sony Alpha 6000 is it any good for photogrammetry. I can put it on drone also, I red that these mirrorless camera are not good because shutter speed? Any recommendation, I wouldnt go above 800€ ?

if you novice just try use any manual camera or smartphone app.
90% time camera hardware is not problem. Problems are Motion blur, Unfocused images, Overexposure or underexposure, Noisy images, Inconsistent exposure.

Motion blur - just use tripod
Unfocused images - auto focus not perfect all time., try manual focus. DOF maybe very small try focus stacking.
Overexposure or underexposure - use middle gray card and color checker.
Noisy images - wrong ISO or bad camera sensor. Try use camera with Pixel pitch (pixel size) 4 µm or more.
Inconsistent exposure - indoor you can contorl light. Outdoor - you not control light and time matter. Sun, clouds, sunrise, sunset, maybe problem.

RENT camera and try!

1 Like

Hi, We cannot recommend any particular brands or products, but other mirrorless cameras work very well. What issue with the shutter-speed did you read about? Shutter-speed should not cause you any problems, you just need to set it fast enough to avoid motion blur if you are shooting handheld or on a drone. On a tripod it should be fine regardless.

I already have some experience with photogrammetry, done it with gopro, dji drone, Nikon cammera, I hate doing it with phone because it make bad result. I saw that better sensor and optics is better photogrammetry, so I am looking for something that will bring quality and not be too expensive. Most of my models are scanned outside, so drone is important in many cases. Why I look at sony mirrorless because they are lightweight. Anyway drone speed and shutter speed on camera doesnt go together very well. So my main point is on that. Also what about using video for photogrammetry, I see a lot of people doing that, its less pixels than thaking photo?

rent sony alpha 7S II or sony alpha 7S III.
you should read about mexapixels and pixel pitch…
pixel pitch table
https://letmaik.github.io/pixelpitch/

I am litter confused that 7sII and 7SIII are old cameras with 12 mp, compared with 2019 lets say Alpha 6100 that is 24mp. Also Alpha 6100 have smaller pixel patch compared to that one. Although I dont get it why is pixel patch important for camera, wasnt that more important for display? I was looking 20+ mp camera and better shutter, because of moving object (drone shots). Also renting is not an option, I want my own, have multiple problems with renting.

For high quality results, we don’t recommend using video for photogrammetry. The video usually has less resolution and compression artifacts which degrade the photogrammetry reconstruction.

RealityCapture does support video import, but we recommend using it only as a last resort or a backup. The scanning process is faster, so you can use it, for example when you are flying with a drone, and you are running out of batteries, or it’s getting darker.

1 Like

I am at the edge to throw money on alpha 6100. If I am going to make mistake please somebody tell me. I think I am at good way. I dont have more money for top end sony, If I get it I will buy it :smiley: