C++ Classes and Blueprints missing from Content Browser

Hi, I’ve been attempting to work with Unreal Engine 5.1.1 for the past few weeks but I’ve hit a severe roadblock that despite throwing 20 hours at, I can’t seem to solve.

Anytime I create a new C++ file or Blueprint, they either immediately vanish from the content browser, or vanish upon restarting UE. Once they vanish, they’re entirely inaccessible through Unreal Engine. The files are still visible/intact, I’m able to access it in Windows Explorer, and open/edit C++ files in Visual Studio, but Unreal (for the most part) pretends it never existed. As well, they still appear in the Solution Explorer within Visual Studio. The only way that I’ve found Unreal acknowledges that it exists is that it prevents you from naming another file with the same name.

I’ve built the project from within Visual Studio, I’ve disabled Live Coding, created new projects, reinstalled Unreal Engine, tried installing 2 different versions (5.0.3 and 4.27.2), and I’ve even gone so far as to set up a new windows user account and try it from there (worth a shot I guess) but nothing has worked yet.

At this point I’m really at a loss of what to do, if anyone has any advice, I’d greatly appreciate it.

As for this, can you pass me a video including the moment of the incident? It might be a bug.

It could happen when a C++ actor wasn’t compiled with debugging on Visual Studio and when Blueprints weren’t saved.

Would you explain each problem separately? It is slightly difficult to specify the cause from the information you said.

Apologies for the confusion, here’s an example of me creating a C++ class.

To be more specific, any time I create either a C++ class or a Blueprint, there is a strong chance that it is not viewable or interactable within Unreal Engine immediately upon creation. E.g. Not appearing in the content browser. On the off chance that it is viewable within the Content Browser, it disappears from it upon restarting Unreal Engine. The files still exist and can be viewed and edited in Visual Studio and Windows Explorer, but Unreal Engine stops showing it within the Content Browser/allowing me to interact with it.

Basically, we use “New C++ Class > Actor” instead “None” which isn’t displayed by default. Take “Actor” and it should work.

1 Like

Only class that derived from UObject will be displayed.

2 Likes

Hey, so I tested out creating each a Character, Pawn, and Actor C++ as public classes. Initially they do appear under "\C++ Classes\ProjectName\Public", but once I restart Unreal Engine, the files along with the \Public folder disappear from the content browser. Any other ideas I should try out?

Try this out.
That’s an issue everyone goes through :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Thank you very much for the support. For anyone viewing this later, my solution was to create a C++ class as anything but an empty class as stated above, and as well to clean/build the project from the IDE.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.