Built-In Mod Installer For Games

Hello, so I realize what I’m about to ask for is a big topic that no singular person can answer in a small span of time, so I’m going to be up front and just ask for resources that can help me jumpstart the process rather than anyone giving me a singular answer that can cover everything.

So here’s what I’m looking at: I’m building a game and one thing I want to be able to do with this is set it up so that players can import mods into the game using native functionality. Essentially what I’m looking at is something like a button player can click that might be labeled “Import Mods” and then that opens a file browser that then allows players to import mods they created specifically in the forms of costume meshes and texture, gameplay tweaks, enemy types and bosses, maps and modes if they so choose, and so on and so forth. I’m not 100% expecting all these types of things to be made right out of the gate but I’m hoping that having built in support for these things will allow the modding scene to thrive over time.

Now, I’m sure the file browser itself is relatively easy. However, it’s the code that tells the game what to do with certain file formats that’s the issue. I’m sure there are commandlines I can use to attach FBX files to a predefined rig and any other assorted functionality I need, it’s the HOW portion I’m struggling with. So I’d like just some tutorial series I can follow to help streamline the building and debugging process.

I’ve looked in quite a number of places but I can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for so I appreciate any help I receive on this front.

Thank you and have a good day.