Building Lights errors on simple environment

That’s a good way to start again. Same problems though. Check this out, makes no sense does it?

and this is with a really nice laid out light map :frowning:

The wall materials look pretty diffuse and dark.
Also, there is no ceiling to bounce any light around.
Try the same scene with a white wall material and a ceiling surface…
Lets see how that looks…

Also the lightmap resolution for that bed must be at least 256

Ok thanks will try adding ceilings during lunch.

1. Material is simply light matt diffuse, the floors and walls share the same material
  2. Bed is currently 256. I’m still not quite sure how to judge what resolution to use for different assets, I tend to just aim to get green meshes in the lightmap checking display but for some reason everything is currently yellow no matter what resolution I adjust to.

Will double check these things when I make the adjustments. Thanks for your advice!

Added ceiling and still getting funky results. On a sidenote, what’s a good solution for working with ceilings? It’s really tricky to look inside my room now inside of Unreal. I’m thinking to separate ceiling into another asset that I can hide/unhide but I bet that screws up the light bakes even more!

How big is the room? At least a player should fit inside it, unless you are buildig on a lego scale. The room feels like it should be 1000x1000 or something like that…

Ok, my room size is currently 794 x 2006 x 308 according to Unreal4. In max I use cm, I have a character ref in there that’s 160cm high and he correct right against the window. Just tried adding a skylight in the room, makes no difference. Material is simply a white vector plugged into the diffuse.

Baffles me how this could be so difficult. Put in a orange static light into a closed room with white material, bake and then destroy the light. No orange.

I’m expecting there to be orange in the scene after deleting the light, that’s correct isn’t it? It SHOULD be doing that?