Building Dedicated server on Linux?

Hi

Is it true that the only way to build a linux UE4 server is by cross compiling on windows platform? I cant find any information that isn’t almost a year old about this subject like this page A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

I’d like to know this myself. It would be nice if there was a way to build the server directly on Linux.

I have not been able to find an answer, to be honest I was starting to think no one is using ue4 on linux? I can’t even get it to reliably generate c++ projects

High level plans to get linux build:
Install CrossPlatform tools
Build UE Engine from Github (otherwise you can’t select Linux as Platform for your build)
Build YourGame module
Deploy on your server and run.

For detailled steps, you have different docs in the Official Docs + Wiki and they are still up to date.

Why would we need to install cross platform tools to build on linux?

Sorry, I missread your post. I was thinking you wanted to build a dedicated server for linux and not build it ON linux.

Basicly (not done yet), you should retrieve the source from github and compile the source code with the DedicatedServer configuration. I’m not a linux guy so I won’t be able to tell you how exactly but in Windows, we must build from the GithubSource to have the “Dedicated Server build configuration” so it must be the same in Linux.
This configuration will set a lot a preprocessor to get a “light executable” with no editor stuff.

Hope it helps,

Have you been able to build the eidtor itself on linux just to validate your configuration & your prerequisites?
more, there are some Linux post in the forum section: https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?29-Engine-Source-amp-GitHub
you should go there and I think, you may also get a better visibility for your question in this part of the forum as it’s “just linked” to an engine source compilation on linux and not C++ gameplay programming or C++ native issue.

good luck.

Thanks, yes building and running ue4 in linux is a piece of cake.

Which is why it boggles my mind to find that to build a dedicated linux server I must use windows. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hey Rob, did you ever find out how to build the linux server on linux?

Has anyone found a solution? It would be great, if it would be possible.

Hi, i use UE4 4.21 build from the sources, and I also download the v12, but when I click build to Linux, it just [FONT=sans-serif]pops up a website that cross- compiling for Linux, can anyone help me with that? Thanks a lot