Build bug: Running out of trivial memory.

I keep getting a bizarre error, it was just a simple level I was putting together to test some meshes. There is only one lightsource (a ‘sun’) and a lightmass importance volume that’s only about 3000x1000 units, but every build fails because of, as far as I can discern - running out of memory having used virtually no memory. Before anyone asks, my computer has 16gb of ram and 4gb of vram - so 32 bytes is definitely not my capacity! :slight_smile:

Error <None> === Lightmass crashed: ===
Fatal error: [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealLightmass\Private\Lighting\LightingSystem.cpp] [Line: 1324]
Static lighting thread exception:
Fatal error: [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 54]
Ran out of memory allocating 32 bytes with alignment 0

UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb44a8606c) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x00000003de566cd8) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb02ecc2b8) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb02ecc2b8) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Update, I tried deleting all lights and fogs and light projecting materials out of the map to see if I could render without any lights at all. Same error. Is it perhaps something to do with the Swarm Connection? Is there a way to disable that?

What’s your StaticLightingResolution? Better yet, don’t tell me just lower it because I’m pretty sure that’s where your issue is. If not, post here and I’ll try again.

Thanks for the advice Lindsay - I turned it down but the problem persisted.

The source was a single mesh that seemed to be causing the lighting to fail to build. I played around with its light interaction but eventually I just deleted it and re-made it. So now the level works :smiley: