A black vertical bar appears on the render target when displaying output from SceneCapture2D in VR. Increasing screenpercentage to 143 for a 1920 * 1080 render target removes the black bar but of course causes a nasty performance hit.
[BUG] SceneCapture2D displaying black bar artifact in VR
I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.
- Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
- If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
- Can you provide screen shots of any settings/blueprints that may be involved?
I’m traveling at the moment but as I recall, one needs to:
- Create a scenecapture2d and rendertarget, assign the scenecapture2d to the rendertarget, and create a material from the rendertarget.
- Create a Plane object and apply the material.
- Set rendertarget to resolution 1920*1080
- Set the material to unlit and emissive (I don’t think this is relevant but just in case)
- Play with VR Preview and Voila! Vertical black bar
I found another user (@alecmoody) with what appears to be the same issue:
I was attempting to set up spectator screens to capture some VR gameplay footage from different angles and I am seeing this artifact. A few details: *It only occurs in VR mode *The black bar is actually in the texture generated by the render target *The width and position of the black bar is determined by a ratio of r.ScreenPercentage and the render target size: http://i.imgur.com/yDj2vNu.jpg For a 1920x1080 render target r.ScreenPercentage 143 moves the bar fully to the right. As the r.ScreenPercentage gets smaller it moves to the left.
Image of the render target itself captured during play: http://i.imgur.com/WKaSrU3.jpg
I’m using a Rift, 1070, and latest nvidia driver.
I was able to reproduce to this issue on our end. I have written up a report and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I have provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.
Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-51811)
Make it a great day