Buffer Visualisation: What is going on?

Hello, everybody!

I didn’t find anything regarding my issue online, so it would be nice if someone can help me to understand what is happening with buffer visualization in Unreal.

So I have a simple material setup with constant values.
Base Color, Specular, and Roughness - all set to be 0,5.

When I switch to Buffer Visualisation > Overview everything seems to be right… except for the Roughness channel. If I take a screenshot of the viewport and inspect it in photoshop I get expected values (50%) for all of the channels, but the Roughness channel gives me only 22% gray. However, pixel inspector is certain that everything should be around middle gray:

But things are different when I open each individual buffer separately. Base Color and Specular are starting to give me brighter 73% gray color but Roughness becomes 50% gray as I would expect initially.

Can anyone tell me what exactly did I miss? If the internal pixel inspector is seeing the right values why buffer viewports are presenting them to me differently between different channels? And why does Overview mode displays buffers differently compare to individual channels?

Update:
Basically, if I put values for Base Color, Metallic and Specular in linear space and for Roughness in sRGB they all become the same. The question is why Roughness is interpreted in sRGB space then? Or what did I miss again?

1 Like

looking forward to this answer as well…