broken new open world map shadows

when played in editor, the open world default settings shadows are blocky (default distance fields, no ray tracing), 5.1.1 engine version. in editor (not playing) the cloud shadows look fine, but not when playing in editor. even a local distribution run build will have the blocky shadows render error, but the editor display is correct.

ue 5.2.0 preview 1 (converted 5.1.1. new open world map empty project).
I assume open world map virtual shadow maps (beta) are not working properly.

editor view (working):

editor play (not working):

after full scene build (not working):

new project in 5.2.0 with default open world map full rebuild map (not working):

same issue persists in 5.2 preview 2.
I assume the virtual shadowmap lacks resolution to do this reliably all the time (assume example/default scenes are meant to be fully working).
but its viewing angle dependent. so the resolution might be ok, with cloud shadows, but some view related issue will break the shadows, sometimes, not all the time, creating the stripes, on the ground.

game, running in editor:

editor, edit mode:

this issue persists in the newest 5.1.1 update that just dropped.

For whatever it’s worth, I can’t reproduce this problem in 5.1.1 or 5.2p2.

Now on release version 5.2.0 the problem does not exist (virtual shadow maps with clouds problem assumed), but its transformed to another type, which is related to surface angle to the sun. When the surface angle is close to 90 degree to the sun then the shadow on open world ground becomes “patchy” and not smooth (layer ground engine construct assumed). Maybe this was the original issue, or the clouds were removed away from messing with the shadow generation on the ground. oh and it was produced in first person template in blueprint mode, with only changing the texture of the landscape to grass, including the root folder properties. The error is now less noticeable than it was on the open ground, like it was caused by the clouds.

it has something to do with landscape patch size. sometimes the shadow is not smooth but the patch shape determines the shadow/color of the tile. also might be related to some kind of light map resolution problem on the landscape.

quality control is when you actually use time to check that all is fine, it took some time to find the spots, before and now. qc is not when you just walk around for 2 secs and say its fine.

In the newest 5.2.1 this problem looks like this. Default sun virtual light map image resolution too low?

same kind light issues in the newest preview 5.3.0 version, new blank project.

1 Like

nice saw tooth, in ue 5.3.1. same test scene. I bet virtual shadow map resolution runs out by default.

1 Like