Bonsai in a Bottle | Virtual Terrarium

Been a hot minute, but if you’re new here, this was a type of (literal) test-bench scene I was doing back in the Early Access phase of Unreal Engine 5 a few years ago – mostly with the aim of testing out the different new features that UE5 had to offer and then later on, figuring out what had changed or which bugs had been fixed which each new version of the engine.

So this one was rendered in Unreal Engine 5.4.2 on a 3090 using Nanite for most meshes, Lumen for GI and reflections and a combination of Megascans, Blender modelled & textured assets, and third-party assets.

(also now with fish!)

8 Likes

Hi again @LTowers95,

Hope you’ve been well :slight_smile:

It’s so cool to see another terrarium project from you. Feels like its been forever but they’re definitely one of my favorites :smiley: Thanks for taking the time to come back and share it.

Also, the fish was a great addition! :tropical_fish:

1 Like

looks great! would love to see some of the earlier material, that water material and the ripples look incredible!

1 Like

@PresumptivePanda Thank you so much! And yeah - I did really like the fish!

1 Like

@ruigol Thank you! The older versions are up on my YT channel - and I also have a couple of ‘tutorials/project overviews’ on these type of scenes too if you’d like to check them out!

1 Like

Hey there @LTowers95 !

This creation looks so realistic. I thought this was a product ad for a second it looks so phenomenal. However, you have me wondering if a creation like this is possible because I never would’ve thought about this kind of design.

Can I ask how you got your foliage to look so realistic? The moss and other greens look so plush and real.

1 Like

@The_M0ss_Man Thank you so much! As for the foliage - it’s actually micro displaced moss assets done in blender - very high poly, but with nanite, it actually ends up much more efficient at run time vs. having massive amounts of foliage assets in the scene!

It’s so beautiful! I want it sooooo much! Is there a chance I can download and place it in my project?