BoneBreaker - FREE Blender plugin for mannequin animation

Hello MostHostLA and thank you for your fantastic plug in and the great effort you have put on! I’m following the video tutorial on youtube about the latest version (3.9) working on Blender 2.82 and Unreal Engine version 4.24.3 and I’ve stuck near the beginning. So I opened the Mannequin Walk Animation in Unreal and exported it with FBX2013 and the settings as suggested, then into Blender I imported the fbx, clicked Do it All for the Char Rigging tab and so far it’s great but then the Do it All button for Rig Actions is still disabled (as well as the UE4 button). Also I’m using the rigify 0.6.1 version. Any idea what I may have done wrong my friend? Thank you in advance for your time and keep up the great work!

The button is coded to check if there is any animation data present. If there isn’t any, then it will be greyed out.
It also checks the frames, so if your animation imported and somehow the start/end is set to 0/1 then the button will be grayed out.
Let me know if that helps.

Be careful with the older rigify version, they did say that the spine was changed and that the behavior on it currently - stretching all sorts of bones including the breast bones - is a bug. I never did follow up to see if a fix was planned other then taking their advice and re-connecting the rig differently during the metarig creation process.

Thank you so much my friend! That was the case, the frames start/end was set to 0/1 and I had to change it to the number of frames of the animation and now it works, one issue I have is that there is a tiny difference between the first and last frame of the animation, Idk if I missed something about the export from UE4 part of the tutorial, where you change the translation retargetting. Now this another problem I have not related to BoneBreaker but if you or anybody can help me I would be greatful, when I did the bone translation retargetting in Unreal the animation gets broken, the left hand joint gets out of place as you can see in screenshot below, so I had to revert it to the previous settings. At last, I have another issue, as soon as I click the UE4 button on the Rig Actions Tab, the animation gets broken, the target bones get rotating around. Any idea what may have caused this? Again my friend I’m very greatful and appreciate your time and effort helping us, stay strong! :slight_smile:

No screenshots attached, so it’s hard to interpret.

Depending on what animation set you are using, issues with bad bone translation on the wrist may be part of the original animation.
exporting the original mannequin animation and passing it through BoneBreaker usually resolves this (it used to before 2.82 at least).

Within the retarget manager, change all your bones to use the Animation translation to see whatever the original animation detects may be.
Because of the default settings those defects usually are not visible within ue4.

As far as difference between frames. It may be normal if it isn’t overly exaggerated like returning to the A pose.

a proper animation cycle has the same animation at the start and end, but is then cut short by 1 frame so that it can loop flawlessly.
If you are trying to replicate that, you can then just copy the first frame to after the last one.

Hi again my friend, I’m sorry for the missing screenshots, I rushed to post and unfortunately I’m not allowed to edit post nor to make additional post before my previous one gets verifiied. About my issue with the retargeting manager I understand what you said and it’s oversight of mine, it’s excactly what you explain in the very begining of the tutorial, I didn’t understand it straight away, also about the deviation between the 1st and last frame of animation I’m not much worried cause I’ll be able to fix it during the process.

Now about the issue I have, I post the screenshot, it happens right as soon as I click the UE4 button under “follow what” on the Rig Actions tab. If then I move the timeline the animation get broken. I guess it’s not a common issue cause no other users have reported this but any idea what may have caused it?

Finally, about the rigify version, I’m using the one that is coming with Blender 2,82 version, I guessed it was the most recent one. Do you suggest me to use another version and if so, could you provide me some link to download because with a quick google search I wasn’t able to find any other versions of rigify to download. Thank you again my friend for the support and take care! :slight_smile:

Also I should note that as soon as I switch back to the original or my rig the animation is again fine, just when I switch to UE4 it get mess.

Yoy have to click the no follow button before switching between modes.
However, I have never seen it do this leg twist thing before.
What animation is it from unreal that is doing this?

Thank you again my friend! Yes it’s just as you said, I had to click no follow button first, thank you very much for the clarifications, I should be more concentrated, I guess the quarantine situation has influenced me a bit, so my apologies, now I’m going to continue the tutorial and I can’t wait! :slight_smile: The animation I’m using is the ThirdPersonWalk and it’s for the 3d side scroller template, don’t know if that makes any difference.

I think all the bases use the same animations. But you never really know…

Hello, i follow your tutorial but cant fix this error

Hi, you skipped the step to install Rigify. Simply open the addons and enable rigify.
should work afterwards.

Version 4.0 now out!
Grab a copy, and paint NVCloth vertex colors like you never have before in blender :stuck_out_tongue:

Additionally, this and many future updates are brought to you by Epic’s Mega Grants :slight_smile:

The future updates will include:
Root motion adjustments.
Twist Bones for Thighs, and Wrists.
A new Metarig generation to help with sculpting new characters, and a few other bells and whistles that I have been wanting to add in for convenience (including the grass height to vertex color generation script, while i’m at it :P)

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Tutorial video for cloth painting:

Out of all the UE > Blender utilities I’ve been having the most success with BoneBreaker. However, there is some issues I have been having when it generates the controls for the fingers, their auto curl orientations are off. I went to take a look at the metarig, and it appears there are bones for the fingers as well as master bones for the entire digit. What is the easiest way to make the necessary adjustments so the fingers bend properly?

You know, I hate that they are off as well but I have been focused on other things of late. Next update will fix this.
For now, I can tell you 2 things. the bug was introduced with the fix for the weird scaling stuff that Blender .28 was doing a while back.
It may be enough to either rotate the bone within the metarig edit mode before generating the rig - and/or manually change the axis of the super finger settings, which is set on the metacarpal bone of the metarig.

In terms of usage, it is actually really important that they work the same or you won’t be able to Paste Opposite poses, which is something I do a lot of and encourage everyone to do often. So I’ll be patching this as time permits.

@ My blender keeps crashing when I click on ‘DO IT ALL’, and the one time it didn’t crash, the bones were all meshed up and I click DO IT ALL again under the Rig Action and it crashed, I’m new to blender so I’m not sure how to get the logs but does this plugin work with the newest version of blender?
I got v4.0 off Bone Breaker: Unreal to Blender

edit
downloaded blender 2.82 but the mesh is broken

Worked fine in .92.2
Testing the update to .93.3
Starts off with wierd positions - probably a change to rigify, so far not worth tracking.

Select all CTR-A
Clear transforms Alt-G

To make it follow a custom animation cycle between “No (the magnet symbol)”, and UE4

It’ll re-process the hand placements and work correctly.

As far as crashes. nothing on my end, but this .3 release doesn’t seem particularly stable CPU load wise.

@ it doesn’t seem to fix it on my animation for some reason, I attached the animation I’m trying to work on and a recording Desktop 2021.08.30 - 22.22.19.03
weapon_Idle.FBX (2.0 MB)

They introduced a bug somewhere along the pipeline in blender.

The initial animation is also the problem

The angle of it is what causes the visual placement of the bones to be wrong once it computes. You have to clear out the initial frame, rotate the object so its’ where it should be. (Import a blank mannequin export).

To clear it off you have to jump some hoops.

Prior to Do It All

Select “rig” go to keyframe 0, turn recoding on. ALT - G, ALT - R, ALT -S to clear all of the transforms.
This will jump the initial frame to the correct pivot.

Rig ALL.

Click “no” for it not to follow any animation.

Click UE4 to get it to follow the correct animation.

Hide the UE4 rig. deselect everything. go to object mode, select the rig. go into Pose mode.
Select all.

Do a “Bake Action” with “visual Keying” (I access it via space bar and typing. you may not have blender set up that way, so you may have to look it up.)

after it’s done, click “NO” again.

And finally click “My”.

Your rig is not ready - without issues. Copy the animation’s Last frame onto frame 0.
When you export maybe don’t export frame 0 either. it’s supposed to loop anyway.

Try it first. A couple times.
if it doesn’t just work, I can share the rig file I just saved.

Can;t seem to get it work,
Prior to DO IT ALL, I tried ALT-G, ALT-R, ALT-S with recording turned on and at keyframe 0 in both object mode and pose mode, and I tried object mode without doing it in pose mode and vice versa but it still showed up broken

when I click on UE4, No or My under Rig Action->Do It All, it shows the UE4 rig scaled up by 100x or all the bones at 0,0,0 position squashed together

The behaviour is unpredictable but I have never seen it do that.
Here’s the rig.
http://mosthostla.com/downloads/rigged.blend