BoneBreaker - FREE Blender plugin for mannequin animation

Hey, I Imported animation and I’m trying to export animation same animation with added anim curves but the only way for the anim curve to export correctly I have to export “Rig” and the only way to export “Rig” is clicking “Do it all” under “Rig Actions” and my animations get all messed up when I do it, all I want is export animation exactly as imported but with the anim curves added. Is it Possible to export animation with anim curves without doing any of the rig actions?

You can also just use the Export Curves plugin directly from the File Export dialogue. it should export the curves without having to be tied to the UI at all.
Likewise, the new Edges and Faces export buttons open the Curves FBX export, so you could use one of those as well - usually you either want a face or a an edge smoothing group anyway.

Awesome I’m going to try that idk why I didn’t think of that in the first place. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

I get this error. Rigify almost get set up, but for example the twit bones are not working, also the animation isn’t applied. I’m using Blender 2,81

*edit: I tried 2.8 and it works there (the twist bones don’t, I’m not sure if it’s intentional)

The issue there is with the Rigify script. Not Bone breaker or anything I have control over.
Perhaps, your file is an older rig that you opened within the new version?

Rigify creates a rig ID which is obviously not being found (or so the error reads).

I would suggest starting from scratch, import the mannequin and generate the rig, see if that works.

I haven’t tried the version you are on, everything works fine up to 2.80.75

“No” removes all constraints. And is necessary when switching the types of animations you want the final result to follow.

The base process is to get the rig to follow Ue4 anims. Key all significant frames. Click NO to remove constraints, and click “my” to get the rig to folllow the manually keyd animation from before.

Ue4 button is disabled if the FBX file you import doesn’t contain an animation.

Specifically re the error, it seems you moved things away from the collections they need to belong to.
if nothing is within those the system can’t possibly function.

If you play/mess with constraints you need to be 100% sure what you are doing.
connecting the left hand to the right hand is fine, but you should then manually key Loc Rot Scale for that bone and remove the constraint prior to moving forward with baking the animation down.

If the animation is baked you probably won’t need to re-add a constraint. The bones of the right hand will have been keyed, so you would have to go in and remove or adjust those keys.

If you are referring to a button of the plugin I can have a look, if you are referring to the blender built in function I can’t do much about it. It could be the latest version has a bug too. Haven’t experienced it myself.

It is wierd that you get stuff removed from the scene, but you are also missing the right thing from the right categories, so the error is probably due to that.

Since the script contains no delete commands, it is more likely that the rig has been hidden from view or something.

Start over with a new file.
open the mannequin or your character ue4 compatible file and click do it all.
maintain that file as the one to make modifications to animations. Don’t change file structure.

Copy over your animations in pose mode.
they can be copied from file to file no problem. Just select all the rig parts you want to copy, ctrl c, go to the clean file and ctrl v in pose mode on the appropriate frame #.

Just so you know, the key all frames button takes all the frames from the UE4 imported animation and keys the rig so that constraints can be swapped and the animation can be edited / republished.
The scenario or path to follow would be - import an animation from ue4, do it all for the rig, do it all for the animations, ensure that UE4 is followed, key all frames, no follow, my anim.
That is essentially what that button was added in to do.

If you do it often enough, you can make your own custom button to add/remove the constraint.
open up my Plugin’s .py files and copy the way it works off one of the constraint functions. Add a button to the UI or replace one you don’t use :wink:

It is.
remember to keep the leading tabs/space the same and copy paste as much as possible since most of what you need is there already.

thanks for this

Hi, when i click do it all, the mesh breaks. Im not what im doing wrong ._. as far as i know i followed the instructions

EDIT: Oh i got it to work now, changed the mesh export settings of ue4 to FBX2013 instead of 2014

Hey everyone.
New versions updated for the latest Blender 2.82 are up.

Everything seems to be working correctly after dealing with a bunch of changes.

BE mindful when importing UE4 animations and modifying them. Apparently the export process OR (more likely) the UE4 import seems to add rotations to the head bone. Trying to see if I can resolve this on my end or not. Will take a bit.

Essentially, I think the mannequin needs an exorcism.

Currently, any time you set up and import a UE4 animation / rig and auto setup (or manually create) the following for the rig the resulting export will have a (probably not randomly as much as taking a different angle in the rotation) randomly rotating head.

If I had wanted to create this effect on purpose I would have never managed.

Only thing I can think of is a bad orientation set up in rigify or something similar. If anyone is having trouble just keep in mind it is currently normal.
delete the head bone from the root import without.

Im having trouble with importing to UE4, I import my mesh to blender to test if it works, didn’t edit the animation at all and followed your instructions but when I import to UE4 the mesh is messed up and parts of it spin or are collapsed in on itself like this

The collapsing could be a result of the pole targets.
when you switch them on and off the angles apparently change in the newer version of rigify. This leads to the shoulder closing in.

The head spinning is the bug I cannot spot as of yet. I have been deleting the rig head bone before import to get viable animations out.

All of this is apparently only happening when using unreal animations or pasting frames from an unreal animation.
manually animating a rig has no issues.
leaving me even more clueless as to what may be causing the head to spin.

Another Update.
I don’t really understand How or Why BUT - if you setup you animation how you want it. Key All Frames, Export it and Importing it once. You’ll have the exact issues you are describing.
If you click the “no follow” button that removes all constraints and Export/Re-Import again the issues go away - including the head spin apparently.

What i’ll do is re-code the Bake action to remove constraints, and re-apply the constraints automatically after the export succeeds. I just have to do a little further testing and I’m in the middle of adjusting animations atm…

Both plugins were “stealth” updated. If you download the current version exporting Should work.
Still needs more testing.

Use “Key All” button to return from the mannequin export to the animation and automatically re-parent the rig.

This is coupled to a blender bughttps://youtube.com/watch?v=9nvXfo9QKhw
Made the report. Perhaps they’ll address it by next version.

Yet another update.
I got bored with having to fight against windmills to get 1 animation right. Granted I was working on a complex 500+ frame interaction. but between the bake bug and the head twisting it was just driving me nuts.

I dug into it some more and removed the Scale from the rig bones. This SEEMS to have addressed most issues.
The update is up for download. Still requires testing, but I was able to swing the animation I was working all day on with it.

This stuff is slowly killing my brain-cells via tediousness, but progress is being made.

I came up with a new metarig/rig/copy transforms setup that is HOPEFULLY immune to whatever screw-ups the blender people are doing since 8.0 dropped.
It’s looking good so far, most importantly no matter how you fold it the animation no longer causes a rotating head bone.
Will update on release.

Latest version has been released.
http://mosthostla.com/gamedev/bonebreaker/

Coming soon, a usage video demonstrating some new features and “gotchas”.

Alright, here is the current “how to” guide.

Also, if you downloaded yesterday, fetch the latest again. I corrected some minor bugs, no need for re-versioning.