Boat in water with attached static mesh not acting correctly

So I have an actor BP with a static mesh which is a boat and have a second static mesh which is a fishing rod with a hook which has a physics constraint. I also have a buoyancy component on the BP.

I have set up 4 sockets on the boat static mesh and set them to be the pontoons

So my issue is that the boat always sinks I have attached the settings for each component which I believe to be the problem.

Buoyancy component

Boat

Rod

Hook

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

I’m a bit of a noob, but recently been doing buoyancy stuff. It looks like all your pontoons are in the same spot. they should be in the “corners” to give stability.

Check your Waterbody as well and make sure the collision preset is “waterbodyCollision”.

Then there’s the thing about the static mesh being the root. Look at the warning box below step 8. https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.2/en-US/water-buoyancy-component-in-unreal-engine/. I’m not sure why this is, or how to get around it. but i would try setting up an actor with just the boat and get that working first, then try to add stuff.

Hi, Thank you for your reply Avery good shout about getting the boat working first.

They are set in the corners -

Also The collision on my water is set to waterbodycolision as I had to manually do this in the engine.ini file

That link doesn’t work

Again thank you for your response.

I will come back with my findings

Oh. my bad. i read too fast. just saw the location 0 0 0. didn’t look at the sockets. sorry. :slight_smile:

Also the link Doesn’t work, cheers

Figured the link out for some reason if you just click on it it only takes you to half the url so just had to copy it then it was fine.

Sorry. had a long day at work.

Fixed the link.

1 Like

So did like you said but now my boat goes crazy I have turned on debugging -

Increase the mass (alot). 10 kg is way too low for 4 pontoons with a radius of 100. try 100 kg or just increase it until it sinks, and then start tuning from there. The damping parameters on the boat might help too. But definately increase weight or lower pontoon radius until it seems to float, not bounce.