Blurring background in pause menu

Hello, i’m trying to create a simple pause menu that blurs the game in the background. I’ve seen a ton of questions regarding this topic here, but there is something nobody ever mentions. I use a “Set Game Paused” node when an action mapping is triggered to display the menu, like this:

This creates a problem where the post processing isn’t applied, because the game is considered “paused” so no rendering occurs in the next frame to show this effect. It looks like this:

If I don’t link the “Set Game paused” to the flow, the blur works.

However, not using this node and setting a custom flag creates another problem, which is the game isn’t really paused (so the game still runs, actors still move, etc) when the menu is up, and setting the simulation speed to 0 feels like a hacky and bug-prone solution that I really don’t want to take. Are there any other methods to achieve this blur effect?

In 4.15 there is a UMG blur widget, which you can stretch across the screen under your other widgets.

Until then, would it be possible to do the blur like you’re currently doing, then delay a little bit (maybe 0.1s) and then pause the game?

Oh, if it’s added in 4.15 then that’s nice to hear. How long until the patch comes up?

Also, I tried the delay and it works. Thanks!

4.15 should be here “soon”. According to Epic Games staff in the forums, 4.15 could come as early as this week or next week, but of course there is no guarantee.