Blueprints and C++ in 2023, what should we do about them

in 2023 we have Unreal Engine 5 with Its Powerful Blueprints, also we have c++,
now Devs says that we should:-

1. use Both of them

2. use Mainly Blueprints but also use C++ when we need it

3. no powerful need for C++, as now we have Blueprints

4. use only C++ as It’s more advanced and Most AAA games use it

**Now we all know that:-

1. C++ runs the process Faster than Blueprints, which makes the game faster Because of:-
    –>1-Blueprints run a Virtual Machine to do some calculations then it runs the
    code
    –>2-C++ Runs the code directly

2. C++ has more accessibility than Blueprints

3. Blueprints are faster in development {Learning, scripting, Debugging}

4. Blueprints handles Complex c++ codes, that Epic Games made for us

and about the game in the end:-

• –>Blueprints: will handle the game development faster and better debugging, but it will have more impact on the CPU, because of the VM process, but also that game will run well

• –>C++: will Improve the Game Performance and give us more accessibility in the Development process

what I say is: Blueprints is powerful and we get so many powerful updates of it, and we can use c++ to:-

• Handle Functions that handle a powerful process on the CPU and that will be used too many times in the game like shooting (spawning Bullets, etc)

• edit or create (Systems, Variables, or Functions) we can’t access in Blueprints

in that way, we will make the development process more easy and fast, also the game will run complex codes using C++ which will make it faster

I want to hear what you say about that

The definitive answer

5 Likes

What @ClockworkOcean said.

Develop your heavy hitting objects, and big loops / data munging in C++.

Use Blueprint to wire it all together, and provide conveniently pre-configured prefabs for level building.

1 Like

I watched the video, I want your opinions not the answer

yeah that’s what I think too, and with some more Updates we keep going on Blueprints more

The truth is that this whole “C++ vs BP” debate doesn’t really matter.
The environment you are working in will quickly force you to use the correct solution non matter which one is it, and any opinion will be irrelevant then.

It’s good to learn both - BP and C++ (at least the basics).
Then you’ll most likely adapt to every environment and solve every development challenge.

1 Like

what I mean is it isn’t Blueprint vs C++, but I mean can we forget about one of them, and if we worked on both of them what is the best way.

I think using both is a good way.
For my experiance if it is not a very heavy calculation you could do this in BP with almost the same performance cost.

I use blueprints mostly to test an idea a fast way and if it turns out it works i use this and write the cpp code based on the test.
For me testing something new is much faster in blueprints because you can just plug in the nodes.

I use cpp over blueprints to have things organized. It is just easier to search something i forget where it was or how i have done it.

So basicly i use blueprints more for testing and to change things in the level for tests. But in the end i try to have all in cpp code as base.

1 Like