Blocky Shadows & more

Hello!

Some of you might be familiar with the following issue: You put some static lighting into your scene, build and then your shadows look like from an 8-bit game. Like this:

I’ve seen multiple threads about this problem, and in all cases the responses were “increase the lightmap”, sometimes it was “change the light to stationary”.
However:

This is my lightmap density for the same scene, the resolution is 1024*1024, and changing it to 2048 doesn’t improve the situation. 4096 causes the build to crash, because my memory is too low to handle it.

As for the second part, if I change the lighting to stationary, the surface upon which the shadow is cast is still static, it doesn’t change anything. I would have to change it to moveable, and considering how many lights I want to put into the scene, this would case severe performance issues most certainly.

These are my lightmass settings used in the above builds. I have tried indirect lighting quality settings between 1 and 4, stating lighting leveel between 0.25 and 1, smoothness between 1 and 4, and I’ve also tried all qualities from preview to production. Nothing gets rid of these shadow blocks. I’ve also started a new project with only starter content and built lighting with a “normal” point light, with similar results.

Anyone has any idea why?

I have the same problem, have you resolved it yet? If yes please tell me

I have the same issues with lighting and shadows, even if I’m using dynamic lighting only, or a mix, or static / stationary only. Tried increasing lightmap res, adjusting World Lightmass settings, volumetric lightmap settings, indirect and skylight bounces, and a bunch of other stuff. One case I had it where shadows weren’t jagged or pixelated at all, simply straight, clean, accurate shadows. Then it was gone, for no apparent reason or cause of it. It’s like I unintentionally discovered the only combination of settings that produces those best results, and then perhaps modified a minor setting or re-opened the level with all of it reverting back to jagged, PS2-level shadows.